Do I have a problem with my Triton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph clark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
:shock:
I have just mounted my new BIG Trition in my router table and when I try to adjust the hight up with the micro adjusting screw the right hand side of the router sticks, doesn't go up and then the adjusting screw goes very tight until I push the right side of the router with my hand. I have taken it off the table and tried it then other way up and its ok. Also there seems to be alot of play on the right side

Is this a bush problem or a common problem with Triton's in tables?
I might make a video to make it clearer;;;;;

Thanks

I have had a similar problem with a big Triton router in a table, but not as bad as yours.
With mine, when I used the micro adjuster the router would at first stick where it was and then after a couple of turns jump up or down.
I found that when I fixed it to the router table the router base was getting distorted causing a miniscule misalingment of the posts, although the router table appeared completely flat (it is a Festool CMS table so should be ok).
To fix the problem, I released the tension on the fixing brackets (4 of) and re-tightened them in a different order, now the router moves up and down smoothly using the micro adjuster.
I suggest you take a look at the router table to see if it is flat, maybe you need to refix the router or use a shim under one or two of the fixings.

Good luck, once you get this sorted I am sure you will, like me, be very satisfied with the router.

Regards - Martin.

Have you taken the spring out - that can cause that sort of effect.

If it's not that then possibly something is bent

It sounds like you've left the spring in? The spring is meant to be removed for inverted use, no big deal as it takes less than ten seconds. The fine adjuster is actually a reduction gearing on the rack-and-pinion wheel - that's how it works anywhere throughout the plunge range. The cog wheel is metal, whereas the worm screw is very hard plastic - designed deliberately to be the shear point in case of overload.

With the spring removed, the gear has only to overcome gravity (i.e., the weight of the router), rather than gravity plus spring pressure, hence easy to remove. To be kindest to the gearing, adjust upwards using the r-a-p, then ease down with the fine adjuster to the required height. You can get a better idea of the mechanism here on a page I wrote to show cleaning and maintenance operations. HTH :)

Ray.

Thanks for the replies; :D
I have tried it first without and then with the spring but no difference. I will try what Martingchapman said about resitting the router on the table. It's a dakota table from rutlands.. by the way...

christoph clark":e0ue4vh0 said:
Hi all,
:shock:
I have just mounted my new BIG Trition in my router table and when I try to adjust the hight up with the micro adjusting screw the right hand side of the router sticks, doesn't go up and then the adjusting screw goes very tight until I push the right side of the router with my hand. I have taken it off the table and tried it then other way up and its ok. Also there seems to be alot of play on the right side

Is this a bush problem or a common problem with Triton's in tables?
I might make a video to make it clearer;;;;;

Thanks

I experience this problem when the spring is removed from the router leg.

With the spring installed once again, the problem is gone.

Have you removed the spring from one of the legs?

I had this issue as well, and by slackening of the mounting screws to the plate and noting how the lifter worked as these were retightened was able to confirm that the base WILL distort and jam unless the mountings screws are tightened in specific order, much like bolting down a cylinder head. Trial and error is the only way here.

PS This is just to confirm the first response from Martin that says just the same , I think you will find this is the answer, the spring resistance is minimal, but best removed anyway.

Helpfull page Argee, thanks.
I have the exact same problem (today) with mine.
I find it very lumpy to adjust the height with the handle winder, i get it near enough and then try to fine adjust
As Christoph says the fine adjuster seems to tighten up.
Then as Martin has said it jumps
The lock on the handle winder is very fiddely indeed infact it doesnt seem to work.
When the height is eventually set I would then lock the router off, this changes the height again so i have to start all over again :evil: very frustrating !!
The base is substancial and i find it strange that it would deflect, but i will try reseting it tomorrow as that seems to be the fix.

Thanks for this post Christoph, as i was demented today :evil:
Cheers,
Gary.
Ps the spring is out.

Guys. I had these problems with my first TRA001. I'm afraid to say I mucked about with it a lot and then shelved it. I bought a new one in the B&Q sale and it's perfectly fine. I'm not saying you can't fix it. But it's possible that there where a batch of them that did this.

Problem is as we all know, if you take it back to B&Q you wont get another triton.
I think you may be on to something Wizer, i find it somewhat strange that the base would deflect. Ive never had it happen with any other router ive had in the table.To be honest i would have expected the insert plate to deflect before the router base.
I wonder can it be sent back to triton for a replacement ??

I had the exact same experience as Wizer on my first purchase. I read Ray's very informative page on cleaning it out and followed it to the letter, but the fine adjuster kept jamming. In the end I just gave up and took it back to B&Q. The changed it without a problem. In fact they never even opened the box, I could have had half a block in there :D . I reckon this could be taken up with Triton directly if there are no B&Q's close to you with stock left.
Neil.

Had a look last night. took it off the table and held it in my hand upside down while trying to adjust it. Now it's broke. The adjuster screw seems to have given up. I took the black top off the adjuster and inside is a plastic worm>...
I didn't buy it from B&Q but direct from Triton so It's boxed up going back today. I will phone them this morning....

Also There is a lot of play on the rack post bush I can even see a gap when it's pushed to one side..

Send it back and get a Trend T11 and an Xtreme Xtension, might cost a bit more because of the XX but great for table use and, unlike the Triton, great hand held also...........

Cheers, Paul. :D

Streepips":3dk2fuqc said:
...... the spring resistance is minimal
Without the spring, it takes a force of 5Kg (about 11lbs.) to raise the router. With the spring in, the force increases to 15Kg (about 33lbs). That's not minimal.

christoph clark":3dk2fuqc said:
Had a look last night. took it off the table and held it in my hand upside down while trying to adjust it. Now it's broke. The adjuster screw seems to have given up. I took the black top off the adjuster and inside is a plastic worm>...
With the Fine Adjuster top off, you only see the white, six-sided head of the shaft, so you didn't take the router apart to investigate, you just carried on - makes no sense to me. You say "Now it's broke." You knew that the fine adjuster wasn't working correctly, I told you that it was the shear point in the system and why, but you carried on until it sheared. I'd say "You broke it."

christoph clark":3dk2fuqc said:
Also There is a lot of play on the rack post bush I can even see a gap when it's pushed to one side..
The rack post bush you refer to can be seen at the top of this picture:

trrep04.jpg

From what you suggest, the only way that there could be play as you tell it, the bush must have been pushed out of its housing. I've never heard of that before, but it's not impossible. I find the view that the base can distort under pressure from either clamps or mounting screws incredible, but I'll do some tests anyway.

Ray.

I have had a quick look at mine today,
Argee, its as if the handle or RAP winder wants to lift the router up out of paralell with the other post if you follow me. i have it set up at the minuite and dont want to take it out.
I think that because it doesnt want to lift paralell the base is forcing the insert plate to flex somehow. Its easily seen from underneath that all the lifting force/pressure is being applied to one side therefore causing the other post to jam up and stop it lifting.
When i finish the job im doing i will try turning it around a bit on the insert plate, but i dont think this will help
Any suggestions why the lock off on the RAP is very fiddley to get to engage properly, ie, click

I have used it without any problems handheld. It freely winds up and down.
I really dont want to take it apart and mess around with it, as no doubt it will end up worse or broke.
Cheers,
Gary.

Gary M":2h9icdl6 said:
I have had a quick look at mine today, Argee, its as if the handle or RAP winder wants to lift the router up out of paralell with the other post if you follow me. i have it set up at the minuite and dont want to take it out.
OK, Gary, I understand - anyone would be reluctant to fiddle about with a working setup. :)
I think that because it doesnt want to lift paralell the base is forcing the insert plate to flex somehow. Its easily seen from underneath that all the lifting force/pressure is being applied to one side therefore causing the other post to jam up and stop it lifting.
The reason that the lifting force is on one side is that it was designed that way. If both sides had rack-and-pinion mechanisms, it would require much more complexity (either the r-a-ps would have to be internally linked, or the fine adjusters would, or both) and this would be more likely to cause problems, especially those involving "out of parallel" conditions. That is why there is only one spring and also why the spring should be removed when inverted.

When i finish the job im doing i will try turning it around a bit on the insert plate, but i don't think this will help.
Neither do I! :)

Any suggestions why the lock off on the RAP is very fiddley to get to engage properly, ie, click.
It needs to be pushed in, then turned, similar to the action you would use in fitting a bayonet-type light bulb.

I have used it without any problems handheld. It freely winds up and down. I really dont want to take it apart and mess around with it, as no doubt it will end up worse or broke.
When used vertically (i.e., not inverted), gravity - the weight of the router - will assist both the r-a-p and - therefore - the fine adjuster when lowering and will be far easier raising because the spring is assisting.

However, remember that once the worm gear has been damaged, it will not heal up and needs replacing. It is part number TRA036, as shown in the dismantling page. It's less than a fiver as I remember.

Regular cleaning should be a matter of routine, especially if you pass a lot of MDF over the machine. A correspondent in Australia found that his Triton router had a really hard build-up around the bushes which, once removed, restored the action completely. His post is here if you want to see it, the most relevant part being the sixth post from the bottom. HTH :)

Ray.

Thanks for the link Ray,
I should have said first off that this router apart from a few (3 or 4) test cuts,(handheld)
Is brand new (although ive had it for a while) and its the first its ever been in a table, the problem was immediate.
I will finish the job, take it out, clean and oil and see how we go.
Perhaps it is just a bit stickey. :lol:
Cheers,
Gary.

Its easily seen from underneath that all the lifting force/pressure is being applied to one side therefore causing the other post to jam up and stop it lifting
Thats what was happening to mine..

I'd say "You broke it."

That's a bit harsh.. It's brand new, never even been switched on and is designed to be used mounted on a table. So in the first place it should not jam when trying to adjust it. Reading other comments I'm not the only one with it jamming in a table..
so you didn't take the router apart to investigate
NO I didn't because like I said it's brand new and I shouldn't have to do that.

Do you know anything about this I found on amazon "and the fine adjustment screw is an excellent idea. I've seen some complaints about backlash but, taking the backlash out is not an issue if one knows what one is doing. "
???

:eek:

Quick note to Argee........

Not sure if you are just being pedantic but when I say the resistance is minimal it is because I can raise the router when inverted in the table, with one hand.same procedure with the Eluu 177 I had in the table before required both hands, hence I regard the resistance as minimal.

Back