Dm show any bargains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil2010

Established Member
Reaction score
The dm show which started today , did anyone go ,did you see any good bargains .

I went along today. Record Power have introduced their version of the Record 135 sash cramps. Bought a couple at a special show price. Also bought a fabulous Wera bit ratchet which takes hex screwdriver bits. Beautifully made and at a special show price. If you want larger ratchets they have some great new ones http://www.wera.de/wera-tv.html?&no_cac ... codetv_pi1[startVideo]=104

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I don't go any longer

Went 2 years running for the DEAL

came away disappointed

All it looked like to me was a box shifters warehouse

Big piles of boxes all needed shifting on to the public

May have changed since I last went

Much prefer the Braintree show :p

Paul Chapman":1yoji9r6 said:
I went along today. Record Power have introduced their version of the Record 135 sash cramps. Bought a couple at a special show price. Also bought a fabulous Wera bit ratchet which takes hex screwdriver bits. Beautifully made and at a special show price. If you want larger ratchets they have some great new ones http://www.wera.de/wera-tv.html?&no_cac ... codetv_pi1[startVideo]=104

Paul
What...no Cliffi's Paul? You're slipping! :lol: :lol: - Rob

I was thinking of going sunday,just waiting to see what people are going to say about the show, any good new tools on the market being displayed.

Well I went yesterday as I am in the process of equipping a new workshop with machinery for the first time and this was a great opportunity to see a selection of the items I am considering. South Wales is not exactly well blessed with stores selling woodworking machinery.
I had taken advice on machinery selection on another thread ( Machinery Advice ) and was keen to examine The Axminster 10" table saw and CT1502 planer, and the Record Dust extractors and De-Walt Thicknesser.

I had previously been considering the Makita LS0714 SCMS because it's small footprint made it ideal to fit into the proposed layout of my shop, but I was put off by a few reviews suggesting the slide mechanism was a bit "sticky". So I decided to hold fire on the SCMS. Anyway, if I went with the Axminster table saw it has a nice sliding table and I could probably get by without the SCMS and save over £300. Still it would be an opportunity to look at the Makita saw and see if the comments were justified.

So off to Axminster at High Wycombe first to measure up the table saw and planer and see if they fit. Good news is I think the table saw will be ideal, although I will need to remove the sliding table when I want to move it out of the way. Didn't look too much hassle to remove the table, so I can live with that. Will probably order the saw before year end to avoid the VAT increase.

Bad news was they had a nice little Bosch GCM 8 S Mitre saw there that took my fancy. Similar footprint to the Makita (maybe slightly smaller), for £350. I was tempted, but remembered I had decided against a SCMS and did the sensible thing and left without it.

So off to the Toolshow.
Strange goings on with the De-Walt DW733. The DW website shows it as discontinued. The guy on the DW stand tells me they are out of stock because it is undergoing a minor re-design. Anybody know any more?
Ordered the Dust Extractor and took a look at the Makita LS0714. The sliding mechanism did feel sticky and I was not very impressed.

So I was ready to leave having restricted my spending to only items I had planned in advance, when I walked past the Bosch stand on the way out, and there was the little Bosch SCMS with a RRP of £350 (Same as Axminster) reduced to £270 for the show.

I was still telling the salesman that I had decided against buying a SCMS as he was helping me load it into the car. :oops:

A bargain?
I'm not sure. I've just spent £270 on something I had no intention of buying, but I've saved myself £80 in the process. I must be getting in touch with my feminine side. :lol:

Bl**dy Tool Shows! :roll:

I reckon you've done very well with that Bosch saw as it had many positive reviews from the magazines, earlier in the year. One plus was that it's light and compact enough to be carried around on-site with relative ease. Only downside may be the accuracy of the laser but, such features are 'essential' on a saw like this, anyway.

Do let us know how you get on with it. :)

I went quickly this afternoon all i bought was some thumb turn type things for my router table build from trend the show was pretty rubbish same old stuff and no real bargains.

chippy1970":33qbp6oj said:
I went quickly this afternoon all i bought was some thumb turn type things for my router table build from trend the show was pretty rubbish same old stuff and no real bargains.
That's reassuring - I thought the same last year and you've confirmed my decision not to go this year :)

I went a few years back and wolfcraft where there which i thought had some good gear , but noticed in the last couple of years they have not been there, looks like its not worth going on the comments so far.

Dunno why people are so negative about the show :? I've often picked up some good deals or got extras thrown in. Maybe some of you just don't look hard enough or perhaps I have a bit more charm...... :lol:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2b4mglcp said:
Dunno why people are so negative about the show :? I've often picked up some good deals or got extras thrown in. Maybe some of you just don't look hard enough or perhaps I have a bit more charm...... :lol:

Paul

Completely agree Paul.

With the demise of a lot of small local tool shops, mail order has become the main way i am now forced to buy tools, which in my mind isn`t the best way to buy gear.
I love tool shows as it`s an opportunity to pick up & get a feel of an intended purchase. OK there may not be massive bargains to be had, but it costs a lot of money to put these shows on. How many of the internet only tool business have a yearly show?

If we keep knocking shows, it will put folks off going, which in turn will continue the trend of the amount of declining shows. I`m not saying we should be bigging up every show, but we shouldn`t be so quick to criticize when we don`t get things as cheap as we want.

Shows & shops cost an awful lot of money to run, websites don`t,, i know where i prefer to buy my gear given the chance & it ain`t a faceless website.

'Tis a fair point Paul and Doug, but I've found their show doesn't fit with what I like in a show whereas Cressing Temple (which I really enjoyed) does.

There weren't many bargains at CT either but the demos were great (especially Rolly Munro).

cambournepete":ztmxkn30 said:
'Tis a fair point Paul and Doug, but I've found their show doesn't fit with what I like in a show whereas Cressing Temple (which I really enjoyed) does.

There weren't many bargains at CT either but the demos were great (especially Rolly Munro).

Pete, i understand where you`re coming from, the show i used to enjoy the most was the midlands show, originally at the NEC & later at the agricultural showground.
This had excellent demonstrations in set aside areas with seating, 2 days wasn`t enough, but lack of support & criticism lead to it`s demise, & we are all the poorer for it.

Harrogate is also a show i enjoy, plenty of demonstrators, but these are on tool stands which make viewing difficult when just a few folks are gathered round.

Doug.

cambournepete":l9sqrznq said:

I particularly enjoyed the japanese guy rearranging his chisels :D

cheers

jon

No real bargins this time round - last year with a bit of haggling I did well on the TREND stand. This year I was just having a look around, as it's not that far from me, the nice thing about going on a Sunday afternoon is that the guys on the stands have time to chat... Bought a couple of books and a belt sander from Skill...
I was tempted by the workbenches but then reminded myself that this winter I plan to build my own...

Encouraged by Paul C I decided to make the effort this morning and glad I did, nice few hours out.

Didn't go for anything in particular, was tempted by a decent small Bosch blue electric planer (for when I don't want to get sawdust on my nice Cliffies :lol: ), and also by the deals on the Fein multitool thingies (but hadn't priced them beforehand so don't know if they were that good or not), but managed to resist on all counts.

Did come away with a bag full of assorted small Bessey clamps though which were reduced, the small 6" duoclamps at 4 for £25 and a couple of others, together with some Bessey marketing freebies including bottle opener (going to try it out in a minute :wink: ), carpenters pencils, lighter etc, very nice of the guys there they usually find a few bits and pieces if asked nicely !

Helped the other Paul carry his loot out to the car park on his second visit of the weekend ! Will let him tell you about it if he isn't too bruised and battered after trying to smuggle it in at home :lol:

A nice toasted sarnie and cup of tea from the van outside and a run back down the M3 in bright sunshine made for a very pleasant day, and much quieter on a Sunday than other times I have gone on the Fri/Sat so must remember that for next year.

Cheers, Paul :D

Yes, it was so good I went back for a second time today :D Nice to meet up with paulm - although he has been known to be a bad influence where shiney tools are concerned :lol:

Got a good deal on a very nice Fein dust extractor (which was the main reason for my visit today).

Had a chat with Martin Brown of BriMarc who gave us a demonstration of the new drill grinding jig for the Tormek. Expensive but a fabulous piece of kit which has been well thought out.

Overall, a nice morning out.

Paul

I went on Friday as I was on my way back from Kent to Worcestershire. As I needed a basic jig saw I had a look round and found a Black & Decker which came with a free car vacuum worth £25.00+, so a bargain I thought. Also got some soft jaws which were out of stock so had them at a show price including postage.

A good show to have a look at and compare and contrast.

Back