Diy shed advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simurgh

Reaction score
Hello, I will start out by saying I have rad several posts but have not got through all 266 pages yet. I apologize if this has been asked and I haven't seen it yet.
Having said that the posts I have read have helped me with many aspects of planning my shed.

I will highlight the question if you want to skip the next bit

My situation is I am completely new to woodworking, I have only made two projects; a computer desk and a stair safety gate. I have loads of ideas but have no where to make things. I am very limited on space and to complete my desk I had to commandeer the dining table for a few days. I have done multiple plans for a shed but it is going to be a a long while to afford it. Also I can not justify spending so much with out actual making things.

I had put the idea on hold until I was looking at some pallets I have already dismantled. the pieces on hand are 33mm x 85mm by approx 1.5m

So here lies the question(s)

Could I use the supporting beams of the pallets to form the frame of the shed? Either putting them in a square pattern and then bolting them together to get the height or have two pieces on top of each other and then bolt them to a piece next to them e.g
file.php

The size I am looking at is 4M by 3M probably about 3M high.
The aim is obviously water tightness and for as cheap as possible. Insulation can come later, as well as a better shed once I can justify spending money on it.

The attached shed plan is a design I put together on Sketchup, Having read https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/small-workshop-wip-t104750-15.html I realized I hadn't planned the cladding correctly and it clearly isn't finished.

Not sure if this is enough info or just too much waffle, So if I haven't given enough just ask and I thank you in advance for any advise offered.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_20170509_231854.jpg
    IMG_20170509_231854.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 676
  • Shed 3.jpg
    Shed 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 677
No. The timber isn't good enough, and it isn't big enough to be reliably strong enough with a join. Besides, the frame isn't the expensive part of a shed, so any savings would be small. Wait until you can do it properly. Try Freecycle for some better materials, perhaps.

I posted a reply the day after you replied but it hasn't showed up.

Thank you for replying, I had a feeling that would be the answer. I think I was just wishful thinking

Back