DIY router table question/problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys - have some progress.

I was donated some 10mm thick acrylic (I think it acrylic anyway). And with some wood I had laying around (which I used as a guide) I cut a channel for it and bobs your uncle I have the workings of a basic router table.

Not perfect mind - one of the rails I used as a guide moved midd cut, and I actually ended up routing about 11mm of depth when infact I only needed 10mm. So I have to raise the plate by a little (not a big deal), but apart from that it's all good!!!

But now I have another problem maybe you can help me with.... How do I when the routers upside down keep it running? Obviously when I use it as a hand tool I have my finger on the power button, but as soon as I remove it the router shuts down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 642
Peter Sefton":14le4dki said:
Not sure what router you have but can you use a cable tie and then control it through a NVR switch?

Peter

Oh - that's a good idea.

Is that the normal procedure for these sorts of things then?

Matted":1ps9w3u8 said:
Peter Sefton":1ps9w3u8 said:
Not sure what router you have but can you use a cable tie and then control it through a NVR switch?

Peter

Oh - that's a good idea.

Is that the normal procedure for these sorts of things then?

It's another optional extra Matted, but routers can be a pain to turn on under the table.

Cheers Peter

I use a spring clamp to hold the power button on my cheap-and-nasty router (easy to remove if I take it out of the table).

I'd highly recommend an NVR (ensure it's sufficiently rated for your router). It'll require a bit of wiring (if you can handle a plug you'll be fine) but the important reason is that you can place the switch somewhere on your table that's easily accessible for turning the router on/off - e.g. without having to lean over the table to get to a power socket.

If you're still in the market for a bit extender, I like the Axminster one as it uses standard ER20 engineering collets. This means you can mount any bit with a shank of up to 13mm, and because each collet has a 1mm range you get a solid grip even with an under-sized shank.

Latest posts

Back