Disston No. 4 Back Saw with an 8" blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I first saw a Disston No. 4 Back Saw with an 8" blade - just like the one depicted below - for sale in my local hardware shop in 1949. I was struck by how tiny it was but I thought how handy it would be when making small joints and how easily it would fit in my tool box. I wanted to buy it - but couldn't afford it then. Now some 60 years later I finally own one!

0disston07.jpg

8" blade - 16 tpi - steel back - closed beech handle

0disston04.jpg

Blade etching and Back stamping enlargement

0disston05.jpg

Handle medallion

My Disston saw page is at: http://jp29.org/wwdisston.htm

James

MickCheese":3kv19mlx said:
Looks new!

Was it the same one from the same store just 60 years on? :D

Mick
It has had some use Mick - but not much.

James

I have an earlier version set to do dovetails but the handle is like your 10". How do you find the steeper handle compared to the 10" on your blog?

I copied the handle to use on the S & J dovetail

IMG_2474.jpg

The tenon handle below is a copy of a Charlesworth from Sheffield.

Modernist":3uq1vnsy said:
I have an earlier version set to do dovetails but the handle is like your 10". How do you find the steeper handle compared to the 10" on your blog?

First, Brian, those are two very nice saws. Second, I have never noticed any difference in sawing using varying handle configurations - I am sure differences exist - its just that I have never noticed them.

James

jamesicus":jcsdrl1g said:
Modernist":jcsdrl1g said:

First, Brian, those are two very nice saws. Second, I have never noticed any difference in sawing using varying handle configurations - I am sure differences exist - its just that I have never noticed them.

James

So who did you work for ERF?

Modernist,

I have a few saws to refurbish. Yours seem very shiny. Have you chosen to remove all of the previous rust/dirt/whatever and make them so. Even to removing the makers identification/etching/ I've forgotten the name here.

I'm trying to choose between removing everything or trying to save some of the old patina....I'm not even sure why I'd want to save it though. Except that a one of my old Disston rip saws will need to haver its shape readjusted with a hammer to remove a slight bow so why not go the whole hog.

Al

Back