Disston Crosscut Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an old Disston crosscut saw. I've just put it in a wooden saw vice that I've made ready for sharpening and can now see that the cutting edge of the blade has a significant convex curvature. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Were they made this way?

The curvature of the cutting edge on the saw is normal and when you see it is is called a breasted saw. Although you don't necessarily see it on saws that much any more it seems.

Technically it is meant to improve efficiency when sawing - had something to do with matching the curvature in the swing of your arm and maximising the number of teeth cutting at any one time as you pushed the saw.

regards
Steve

Thanks for link Pam, and for info Steve. Incidentally, when I bought the saw the man in the shop asked me what I wanted it for! Seemed like an odd question given that saws have a rather obvious function, but it turns out that the last customer he'd had was looking for one to play as a musical instrument...

Joel

Joe":18lqnbd2 said:
Thanks for link Pam, and for info Steve. Incidentally, when I bought the saw the man in the shop asked me what I wanted it for! Seemed like an odd question given that saws have a rather obvious function, but it turns out that the last customer he'd had was looking for one to play as a musical instrument...

Joel

Actually the function of a saw is not so obvious - that's why Diston (et al) made so many different models.

BugBear

Bet they didn't make them in different keys though! I'd like a skew back, crosscut saw, 7 tpi, in G major please...

Joel

bugbear":10cr5mzo said:
Joe":10cr5mzo said:

Joel

Actually the function of a saw is not so obvious - that's why Diston (et al) made so many different models.

BugBear

BB - it's quite an interesting read on the Disston site and from what I can gather, most of the main hand saws were pretty much the same. If say, a No 12 was introduced with a slightly different handle timber or some other minor feature it was given a new designation...say the 12A. An analysis of the different saw steels on the earlier saws also found them to be almost identical...quite a good read if you haven't dipped into it already - Rob

woodbloke":267o09d9 said:
bugbear":267o09d9 said:
Joe":267o09d9 said:

Joel

BugBear

BB - it's quite an interesting read on the Disston site and from what I can gather, most of the main hand saws were pretty much the same. If say, a No 12 was introduced with a slightly different handle timber or some other minor feature it was given a new designation...say the 12A. An analysis of the different saw steels on the earlier saws also found them to be almost identical...quite a good read if you haven't dipped into it already - Rob

What I meant was a panel isn't a rip saw, a dovetail saw isn't a tenon saw..., and the hi-falutin' amongst use different saws for tenon cheeks(rip cut) and tenon shoulders (cross cut).

BugBear

Well it's sharp now. I found it a bit time consuming (mainly because it's the first one I've done) but very satisfying, and unlike some other repetitive metalwork jobs (lapping chisel/plane irons) you can see exactly how much you've done and have left to do. Doubtless I haven't done a perfect job but it was as blunt as a butter knife before and now it cuts fast and straight and the procedure wasn't as difficult as I'd feared. I'd recommend it! Also I recommend visiting Bug Bear's site for tips and links on the subject of saw sharpening - his vertical rake angle indicator proved very effective (thanks!).

Joel

Joe":mfn7wmu8 said:
his vertical rake angle indicator proved very effective (thanks!).

Joel

As long as you avoid poking your eye out!!

BugBear (who was using that gadget this very morn)

Back