Disposable Brushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCB

Established Member
Reaction score
The sort of Disposable Brushes - sometimes called “Acid Brushes” - that have a metal tube handle are unbelievably expensive in the UK (around 50 pence each) compared with the USA where they cost only a few cents.

Does anybody know of a supplier at anything like the American price, please?

Ideally, I'm looking for the sort where the tube is around 10 mm inside diameter.

MCB

I bought a pack of 50 from Ebay a few months ago )listed as flux brushes) for about £14 delivered - they were the cheapest I could find. There are a couple of sellers still offering them at that price.

Misterfish

misterfish":12npyady said:
I bought a pack of 50 from Ebay a few months ago )listed as flux brushes) for about £14 delivered - they were the cheapest I could find. There are a couple of sellers still offering them at that price.

Misterfish

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I bought six for £1.99 including postage - almost as cheap as yours.

But that compares very unfavourably with Harbor Freight in the US selling them for 8¢ each!

MCB

picked up a pack of 4 in hobbycraft for a quid. still not as cheap as you want but affordable.

MikeH":mdrxfstz said:
picked up a pack of 4 in hobbycraft for a quid. still not as cheap as you want but affordable.

That's very helpful, Thank you

Can you tell me, please, what Hobbycraft call them? I can't find on Hobbycraft web site

And what's the tube diameter, please?

MCB

MCB, those ones from Rutlands that Duncan A provided a link to actually represent much better value than the likes of the American acid brushes.

These have nylon bristles so they can be re-used multiple times, even if glue is allowed to harden in them.

I would like to make brushes ”captive“ in glass jars

The idea is to cut down the tube until the overall length is about half the bristle length longer than the jar is tall.

The put a plastic wall plug inside the tube; make a hole in the centre of the lid and screw a screw into the wall plug through the lid.

Then the brush will be central in the jar and touching the bottom.

I have sanding sealer in one so it's always ready to use.

Unfortunately, I've NOT yet found a brush/plug/screw combination that works as well as the original!

MC

Hi MC,
The ones from hobbycraft are labelled:
Crafters choice.
6 Craft & Glue brushes.

Note 6 in the pack not 4 as I originaly stated.
They are by Royal Langnickel and coded as RD80.

The barrel diameter is about 8 or 9 mm at a guess.

Hope that helps.

MikeH":tbz1jtpk said:
Hi MC,
The ones from hobbycraft are labelled:
Crafters choice.
6 Craft & Glue brushes.

Note 6 in the pack not 4 as I originaly stated.
They are by Royal Langnickel and coded as RD80.

The barrel diameter is about 8 or 9 mm at a guess.

Hope that helps.

That's VERY helpful, Thank you

I found these on Hobbycraft's website and they showed as reduced.

That suggests that Hobbycraft may be discontinuing them and stocks may be low.

I'll have to try to find some soonish!

Very many thanks again

MCB

MCB":2d0e2wd3 said:
Neat way of doing that you outline there!

That's a semi-permanent use though isn't it? In that case the 50p per brush you quoted originally isn't a big deal surely? I'm all for saving a few bob but 50p amortised over a few months or longer seems reasonable to me :D

ED65":erum3ka5 said:
MCB":erum3ka5 said:
Neat way of doing that you outline there!

That's a semi-permanent use though isn't it? In that case the 50p per brush you quoted originally isn't a big deal surely? I'm all for saving a few bob but 50p amortised over a few months or longer seems reasonable to me :D

Agreed - but I've NOT been able to find a supplier of brushes with a 10mm inside diameter tube and others that I've obtained have NOT been robust enough to hold the wall plug.

MCB

Ah I can see how the quality of the tube would make or break this. Can you tell, are the originals plated steel tubes?

It just occurred to me, would sliding a dowel down the tubes on the weaker ones strengthen them enough so they'd work for you? Similar to how Paul Sellers reinforces the aluminium sash clamps.

ED65":2p5t8weo said:
Ah I can see how the quality of the tube would make or break this. Can you tell, are the originals plated steel tubes?

It just occurred to me, would sliding a dowel down the tubes on the weaker ones strengthen them enough so they'd work for you? Similar to how Paul Sellers reinforces the aluminium sash clamps.

The problem is that screwing the screw into the wall plug causes it to push out the ”wings“ and these deform the tube.

Using dowel would strengthen the tube but make it impossible to fit the plug

The original brush is in the shed and I'm now indoors so I can't test the tube with a magnet.

And while one brush for 50 pence would just about be affordable on my budget, I don't know where to buy and doubt if they come singly!

With best wishes and thanks.

MCB

MCB":1gw2zf68 said:
Using dowel would strengthen the tube but make it impossible to fit the plug
Ditch the plug, screw into the dowel itself (into a pilot hole obvs).

HI MC,
I picked my pack up at the local hobbycraft store, so if you have one near it might be worth dropping in, and then you can look before you buy as well.

If you put a dowel in the tube could you not then just drill that and screw straight into the dowel, forgetting the plug.

Alternatively if you like, PM me your address and I will stick a couple in first class post for you to play around with.

MikeH":2a7m27j6 said:
HI MC,
I picked my pack up at the local hobbycraft store, so if you have one near it might be worth dropping in, and then you can look before you buy as well.

If you put a dowel in the tube could you not then just drill that and screw straight into the dowel, forgetting the plug.

Alternatively if you like, PM me your address and I will stick a couple in first class post for you to play around with.

I have some Langman & Roya(?)l brushes so will see if they are the same as sold by Hobbycraft.

I think that putting a pilot hole down the centre of 7mm dowel would be beyond my ability

There are some Hobbycraft shops NOT too far away - I prefer to buy stuff in person.

With best wishes and thanks.

MCB

sunnybob":2vobekl6 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUX-BRUSHES-PACK-OF-20-FOR-SOLDERING-GLUE-20-PACK-/321842764834?hash=item4aef52dc22:g:5JoAAOSwxH1UDYOr

26 pence each with metal tubes.

Have you actually bought these?

What's the diameter of the metal tube handle, please?

Very many thanks
MC Black

Latest posts

Back