Disc sander questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

Reaction score
Hi, I've just tried to change the discs on my old Axminster 10inch disc/belt sander. Yesterday I cleaned off all the old glue and paper and cleaned of the disc with some thinners. Today I tried to apply a new self adhesive disc (from Axminster Tools) and I've just tried three in a row with no joy. The glue is not sticky on the outer edges and just lifts off the disc. The centres are fine but no way will they stick properly. What are other using out there and do you use a spray or contact adhesive as well? Should the discs that are "self adhesive" work?

timbo":f6meuod8 said:
Hi, I've just tried to change the discs on my old Axminster 10inch disc/belt sander. Yesterday I cleaned off all the old glue and paper and cleaned of the disc with some thinners. Today I tried to apply a new self adhesive disc (from Axminster Tools) and I've just tried three in a row with no joy. The glue is not sticky on the outer edges and just lifts off the disc. The centres are fine but no way will they stick properly. What are other using out there and do you use a spray or contact adhesive as well? Should the discs that are "self adhesive" work?

Surely they should stick??

Can't answer your question, but did you know? If you put a crepe sole from an old shoe or some soft plastic, as in under ground (blue) water pipe, it will clean all the debris off the paper and make it reusable.

I've had the same problem with the 12" discs, they just curl off the platten at the edges, no matter how well you clean it and how many times you press it back into place.

Poor quality I reckon, resorted to using some of that temporary stick spray as well, just about works but forget what it's called ?

Cheers, Paul

I had the same problem with a Record DS300, in the end I cleaned it down, washed off the thinners with detergent and water, and then stuck on a velcro sheet and switched to Hermes velcro backed sanding discs. Worked great after that.

I found cleaning off all the debris when changing disks to be one of the biggest problems, however my cheapo discs from machinemart stick fine once it's done. The problem i found with velcro is that being softer, it's harder to get sharp edges. the sander is a little bit spongy.

any tips on cleaning off the rubbish when you remove a disc?

also the rubber disc refreshing sticks that people refer to are great. I got one at machinemart and each disc lasts 4 or 5 times longer than before, definitely try that as well.

wcndave":30gdsgpr said:
The problem i found with velcro is that being softer, it's harder to get sharp edges. the sander is a little bit spongy.

Did you actually try velcro or is that just a theory? Because in practise I haven't found any problems, it will sand a mitre to a knife edge. The other big advantage of velcro is that it's much easier to change the paper, so you tend to have fresh sheets or the right grade for the job, instead of labouring on with a worn out sanding disc. You should try it...it works! I guess that's why many of the more expensive disc sanders come with a velcro system as standard.

wcndave":2wfu73lf said:

I just changed one of mine yesterday and I found success with a thin metallic paint scraper for the initial worse stuff...then one of those kitchen scourers (the green ones without any sponge on) soaked in meths or white spirit gets the baked on smaller adhesive patches.

In fact I can recommend that green scourer stuff for all sorts of cleaning jobs round the workshop. I use it, again doused in solvents for cleaning my cast iron table tops on bandsaw, tablesaw and planar. Also the beds of my lathe after I've spattered them with all manner of wood sap and then finishes!
The value it has it that being plastic it never scratches any of your prized tools but its sufficiently abrasive (plus meths) to get the rubbish off.

custard":3biv465y said:
wcndave":3biv465y said:
The problem i found with velcro is that being softer, it's harder to get sharp edges. the sander is a little bit spongy.

Did you actually try velcro or is that just a theory? Because in practise I haven't found any problems, it will sand a mitre to a knife edge. The other big advantage of velcro is that it's much easier to change the paper, so you tend to have fresh sheets or the right grade for the job, instead of labouring on with a worn out sanding disc. You should try it...it works! I guess that's why many of the more expensive disc sanders come with a velcro system as standard.

I found this with the Velcro in my ros.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Random Orbital Bob":a6w6fryv said:
wcndave":a6w6fryv said:

I just changed one of mine yesterday and I found success with a thin metallic paint scraper for the initial worse stuff...then one of those kitchen scourers (the green ones without any sponge on) soaked in meths or white spirit gets the baked on smaller adhesive patches.

In fact I can recommend that green scourer stuff for all sorts of cleaning jobs round the workshop. I use it, again doused in solvents for cleaning my cast iron table tops on bandsaw, tablesaw and planar. Also the beds of my lathe after I've spattered them with all manner of wood sap and then finishes!
The value it has it that being plastic it never scratches any of your prized tools but its sufficiently abrasive (plus meths) to get the rubbish off.
thanks, will try this!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had two new discs that Axminster replaced for me. The new ones were a "LOT" better. The glue went right to the edge of the disc and stuck well. So all is good. And thanks to Axminster for a quick warranty job. As far as removing the old glue, I didn't find it too bad. I soaked it in thinners and used a paint scrapper to remove it. Then wipe with white spirit and then detergetn and water. Dry thoroughly then warm new disc with heat gun. Worked a treat.

To clean of the debris from an old disc I just set it away and use a chisel similar to a lathe. Then to re- attach a new disc I warm the metal disc up with paint stripper before hand, makes the glue stick better.
mark

Latest posts

Back