digital scales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend some affordable yet reliable digital scales for weighing out epoxy?

I bought some digital scales from Lidl a couple of years ago. The make is SilverCrest and I've found them superb. I bought them for use in the kitchen and I use them almost daily (for breadmaking).
I find them extremely accurate and can thoroughly recommend them next time they have them in stock, which is fairly frequently I believe. If I remember correctly, they were about £7 or £8, or thereabouts.
Coincidently, I weighed out some Cascamite on them yesterday.

MMUK":2aqzmcit said:
The Salter scales should do the trick. On offer at Argos at the mo for a tenner :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... :c|adp:1o3

I had one of these for a few years and it was excellent until it just died, I think it was probably covered by a 10 year Salter warranty, but I remembered that after I consigned it to oblivion...
I ended up buying another set of Salter scales http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Stainles ... hen+scales , a few quid more at £13, but the display sticks out a little which allows weighing of larger/odd shaped packages, very pleased with it and also covered by a long warranty (which I'll have forgotten about by the time it croaks...)

I picked up a dirt cheap set from Tescos about seven years ago for about a tenner and they've worked faultlessly. I doubt there's much difference bewteen them all, just get a cheap pair for the workshop.

Thanks for the replies, I was concerned I'd have to shell out considerably more to get a set accurate enough. Looks like the salter ones measure to an accuracy of 1 gram, is that sufficient for measuring out small quantities of epoxy? Having not used epoxy much before I don't know how spot on the 1:5 ratio needs to be.

I have always used the special measuing pumps that fix on the epoxy containers. Work well. No need for mental arithmetic.

I've also got the Lidl Silvercrest scales, bought a month or two ago at £9, weighs up to 5kg in 1g steps. They seem to work OK. The good thing about them is they take ordinary 2 x AA batteries, not button cells/9v batteries. The weird thing is there isn't an on/off switch, after you've used it the display goes into a clock mode.

The problem with all the Lidl 'specials' is that you have to wait for Lidl to have it again, you can't just go and buy it.

Back