Digital readout for thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Prompted by Ray's recent post on the Wixey digital angle gauge, I've been looking at these retrofit thicknesser digital readouts:

http://www.wixey.com/planer/index.html
http://www.digi-kit.com/digiplaner.htm

I've always thought about working out some method to fit a digital calliper to my Scheppach 260 p/t'er - but even though I picked up a cheap one from Lidl's just for that purpose - these solutions look a lot easier and not too pricey.

So has anyone tried one of these - especially on the Scheppach? Do you reckon it will fit with minimal effort?

I'm very tempted just to order one and try it out but great to hear some comments from the knowledgable folks here.

Cheers

Gidon

It looks a lot easier than adapting a caliper, the other option is to use a vertical digital scale, I am in the process of fitting ome to my milling machine together with a pair of horizontal ones to the table.

But at the price of the wixey and the fraction facility it is probably the easiest option.

Jason

Thanks Jason - think you're right - the Wixey is good value against those vertical scales.
Roger - nice one - never saw that post.
I'm trying to figure out what difference it makes that the table on the Scheppach moves - not the cutter block. Also it would have to be fixed at the side - need to think a little if it's going to get in the way of the removable outfeed table ...
Cheers
Gidon

I have the Wixey on my planer and it works quite well. It was simple thing to add on and seems to be reasonably accurate if you calibrate it properly.

Thanks Dave.
Well I took the plunge and ordered one! If I can't get it to fit it'll be appearing here shortly!
I'm sure it's going to require some holes drilled in my p/t :(. What's the best thing to do - just buy some self tapping screws and drill an slightly undersized hole? Something like these?
Cheers
Gidon

Seems to me mine came with the screws I needed. I'd wait until you have the thing in hand before buying special hardware.

I'm pretty sure you won't need anything like this:
lag_bolt.sized.jpg

Good point Dave - guess it will come with fitting hardware. Just know that my machine is nothing like the wixey.com shows the device fitted to!
Don't think I'll need screws quite like that ;)!
Cheers
Gidon
PS - just notice you say "reasonably accurate"? Is it accurate enough to be able to make a repeat cut after have re-adjusted the thicknesser - so both pieces will be the same thickness checking with your finger if you know what I mean :). May depend more on the thicknesser you're attaching it to I guess.

Did this about 6 months ago - used Axminster vernier and it has worked really well.

Cost about £25 and took an hour to fit

Well worth the effort Gidon.

Vernier_on_Delta.jpg

I've been dribbling over this thread all week :cry: I've looked at the web site and they don't list my lowly Record PT 260, I've tried visualizing how it would fit. Does anyone think it could be made to fit?

Nibbo

the one from Axminster is a uiversal vertical vernier that will fit any machine with a bit of innovation. Mine simply bolted onto the Delta with no chnages/mods required.

That cant be right 33% tax I would question that if it was me or is most of the cost down to the carriers admin charges,
sorry you got lumbered

Nigel

£4.00 of the charge goes to the post office for collecting the duty. so the tax is only £5.55 which is VAt on about £32.00

Jason

next time an overseas buying spree ensues, we should all buy together under one name , then at least the robbing B*******s at the Post office can only charge one fee of £4.00 :D

NeilO":1q9fkfpf said:
next time an overseas buying spree ensues, we should all buy together under one name , then at least the robbing B*******s at the Post office can only charge one fee of £4.00 :D

If it goes through Parcelforce they charge £8 to collect the VAT
Barry

Back