Digital calipers in Lidls for £8.99

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

My local branch of Lidls has a big stock of digital calipers @ £8.99 each. From what I recall of comments on this forum in the past, they're pretty reasonable and certainly good value. Hope so, because I've just bought one myself!

Regards.

Haven't put the battery in it yet but it comes in a sturdy plastic box and seems to do all the right things. The jaws don't lock solid and the wee thumbwheel is lose but works. I would say it's just mine but at £8 I suspect that it might be a general low quality "thing". Still you get what you pay for and £8 s not too bad for quick measuring of small bits, mortice depths etc.
Cheers Mike

They're a bit rough and ready but they're accurate enough and cheap as chips. What more do you want?

Scrit

Scrit":3ipwulym said:
They're a bit rough and ready but they're accurate enough and cheap as chips. What more do you want?

Scrit

I did consider buying a pair for when the first inevitably breaks but seeing as I already have a nice German made Vernier, albeit decidedly analogue, I thought that was extravagant. The "digital measure" on the till receipt has raised eyebrows already.

Cheers Mike

A digial display does not equate to an accurate measuring instrument (just a convenient display of the value).

With measuring kit, one ALWAYS gets what one pays for

Agreed, Tony, but in woodworking is it necessary to work to less than 0.1mm accuracy?

Scrit

Scrit":msym089c said:
Agreed, Tony, but in woodworking is it necessary to work to less than 0.1mm accuracy?

Scrit
Ive certainly got by so far with my Vernier caliper marked in mm. A lot of the time Im using the thing to compare an inner and an outer dimension much as one might use dividers and not particularly interested in the reading. I only bought the digital one cos of my ailing eyesight and the toy factor. Does that make me bad that I don't care overly about the measurements :)

Cheers Mike

I have a 300mm Mitutoyo digital vernier that came with me from my engineering days and very useful it is for woodwork too.

I recently bought 2 £7.99 digital verniers from Aldi and proceeded to butcher them and fit them to a cross slide mounted vice that i use on the pillar drill. Before cutting off the depth prong and some other bits I did a comparative measurement with the Mitutoyo. Difference at any point on the 150mm range was less than 0.1mm. So I would not have too many fears over accuracy.

Only minor downside to them is that they lose datum at power off. So if it says 30mm when the power goes off it will say 0 when turned back on. Not a problem for my use as I need relative measurements.

I have a set of Lidl digital calipers that I bought a few years ago for about £13. They do remember where the 0 is when turned off.
They are the only calipers I have ever used, and for me, it is a great steup up from holding up a steel rule to something to see how big it is.

I couldn't manage without them now.

I have the aldi ones and the biggest plus for me with digital compared to the old vernier scale calipers is ease of reading now my eyes ain't wot they used to be.

Jeff.

Back