Did anybody go to makers central?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to go but taking into account the entry fee, car parking costs and the cost to get there I decided not to. Did I miss something special?

Yes ı was there on Saturday for most of the day. Was interesting for the variety of different craft subjects and new enterprises that I've not seen at 'wood' shows. Several 3D printer and CNC router systems for instance.
Rather an expensive day out for those having to pay entrance and parking fees, but did speak to to several folks that had traveled from Scotland, Nort Wales, London etc. Some paying for overnight accommodation as well so must be the accepted cost of such events these days.
I would say those looking for inspiration and new direction involving different media or craft interest it was an interesting experience, if you only want wood interest and associated tools and equipment then it had limited variety, not a large show, but very obviously an opportunity for many to restock their consumable supplies and be able to seak advice on how to proceed.
The long queue awaiting the doors opening showed a significant interest but the venue did not appear overcrowded whenever I wondered around, the main demonstration area always seemed fully populated.

I enjoyed it. I'm only an hour away, so entrance fee and a bit on train travel. It all adds up, of course, but I think it was worth it. As Chas said, interesting to see other crafts (and Chas on the Chestnut stand, of course!), and also great to see two young women turners from the States. My kids were quite shocked when they saw how many young people were at the event. Hopefully the 'making' world is still thriving.

A very different type of show from the usual woodworking ones. A good range of crafts and mediums bringing in a real mixture of makers. I have never seen such a diverse group of visitors with far more kids, women and disabled and Europeans flown in to visit. Great to see such a wide variety of people interested in the crafts.

Not as many exhibitors as there could have been but its an expensive risk if things go wrong. As it happens the crowds of visitors were amazing over 5000 I believe on Saturday and I would guess 3000 plus on Sunday. The show must have been very expensive to set up with so many international makers demonstrating lets hope it paid off and returns next year.

Chas I almost caught up with you to say hello, but you looked busy.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":qj9j6qr9 said:
Chas I almost caught up with you to say hello, but you looked busy.
Sorry I did not stop off on my whistle stop coating of looking first time around Peter,

The diverse attendance mix was different for sure, so many folks new to the crafts wanting some guidance, I got embroiled early trying to fend some of the questions to relieve the actual sales till load.
Quite a lot of youngsters steering parents/grandparents about their needs and glad to be pointed to cost effective or simplest way to finish something, a process that can prove very frustrating and risk disheartening the enthusiasm.

I went on saturday
as a woodworker and not a crafty person I was a bit disappointed
not a reflection on the overall exhibition as it catered for all crafts...just not my thing
seemed that retail price was the norm rather than show discounts
Peter's stall was well visited from what I could see, and some great products to be had
was happy to get a demo of the ls positioner from one of his staff (sorry I am not good with names)

Steve

SteveF":2o0sni67 said:
I went on saturday
as a woodworker and not a crafty person I was a bit disappointed
not a reflection on the overall exhibition as it catered for all crafts...just not my thing
seemed that retail price was the norm rather than show discounts
Peter's stall was well visited from what I could see, and some great products to be had
was happy to get a demo of the ls positioner from one of his staff (sorry I am not good with names)

Steve

That would have been Jim, yep we were busy it was just like Fridays at Harrogate for us.

Cheers Peter

my apologies to Jim for name forget
he was extremely patient in demo the ls positioner during a busy sales time
i also spotted the Jessem router fence alternative
not sure either suites a custom router table, so decision is not an easy choice
the mitre option on the jessem looks great
sadly I was a bit concerned the jessem system was the better option but had an imperial fine adjuster

Steve

Hi Steve
Pleased you liked the router tables, they are the ones I use in the school workshop although the JessEm TA was set up for the show. Either will fit a home made router table but the JessEm is more commonly used for that.

I have just emailed JessEm and raised your point about the metric fine adjustment, looks like they will be able to supply us with metric from late summer :D :D :D

Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back