Diamond Stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albo

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend me a set diamond stones? Are the cheap ones on ebay a waste of money? Many thanks.

It depends on your budget and end use of the stones? With these you do get what you pay for. I have 3 diamond stones. A dmt bench stone, and one of those little fold up ones. Plus one of the aldi 4 sided stones. I keep that in my toolbox for work.

I often look at the ebay ones, but think i would rather spend the money on a decent brand. My dmt is about 8/10 yrs old now and is still going strong :)

Dmt here as well and still going strong. My work mate tried a couple of cheaper brands and then ended up getting a dmt. Spend once etc etc :wink:

Cannot comment on the cheaper ones but mine are DMT ones, which I bought several years ago on special offer, and they still perform well.

Rod

For what it's worth, I find the cheap four-sided ones (which are sold under a variety of names; I've seen virtually identical sets for sale from Faithful, Silverline, Lidl and Aldi) perfectly fine, although I don't do so much woodwork as some of the other guys on here so mine is probably the least likely to wear!

I use it for initial sharpening, then move on to some of those neat lapping films on a bit of glass to finish it off. In total cost me something like £30, and I have no problem getting a mirror finish (and more to the point, the chisels also cut really well!) I'm sure the DMT stones are awesome and all, but personally I don't think I have a need for them - at least not yet. And as such, my opinion on whether the cheap ones are a waste of money is that it probably depends on how much you're expecting to use them!

I have 4 DMT 8 x 3" stones. They are great. I have 3 Aldi 4 way stones. One is almost worn out, I use it every day in the school workshop. It is a good tool also.

+1 for what Marcros said - I have the same set - $200 and the stones are HUGE - 4" x 10" and seem to be outstanding quality
Cheers
Mark

Back