Diamond paste sharpening ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that much exists on the details of diamond paste sharpening. But this is quite a nice summary of the whys and wherefores of what the authors refer to as loose diamond sharpening:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/hand ... read=89166

I still find the number one issue with this method of sharpening is the right substrate. I use hard maple and have tried Plexiglass and other flat surfaces in my workshop. Maple works ok for me but can be frustrating if there's any burr on either side of the edge and you end up scraping or digging into the surface. Still if you are careful it is a very nice and quick way of putting a nice edge on your tools. And if I could get hold of those recommended cast iron plates they mention it would be even better :).

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":3mhcs0st said:
And if I could get hold of those recommended cast iron plates they mention it would be even better :).
Would the plate out of this kit be any use, Gidon? Doesn't seem too expensive even the powder is no use. Maybe steel would be too hard though?

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks Neil. Answer is I dunno! That's what's a little vexing about this whole business - there are no real answers, only speculation albeit based on some thorough testing. I have seen some comments on woodcentral on those steel plates (Kanaban's) - but can't remember what the verdict was. Toolsforwoodworking seem to recommend them so that's something ... I have been tempted before to give them a try and am again now you've reminded me!
What would be nice is if someone like DMT or Norton actually offered these diamond pastes with a suitable substrate which they'd researched. The fact that nothing is available backed by a manufacturer must mean something. I think those chaps as woodcentral appear to say there is no one perfect substrate - although cast iron is preferred.
Cheers
Gidon

I gather the steel lapping plate isn't much use - too hard so the particles of diamond get picked up by the thing you're trying to lap/sharpen and you end up honing the plate. #-o The cast iron issue is annoying; 12x12 is a leetle bit big for normal use, even if it wasn't 65 quid. You can get hunks of cast iron okay it seems, it's just getting them machined that might be the stumbling block. :?

Cheers, Alf

Well - just looked at WC again - and it seems it was our very own bugbear [Edit: sorry mistake - it was someone else - think I read bugbear's reply :oops:) who had tried the Japanese plates and wasn't impressed. Ah well.
Chris - thanks for that - a little pricey and big for my needs but good to know something may be available. Do you use that for diamond paste sharpening?
Sorry Alf - keep getting interupted with work whilst writing this so missed your post - I'd wondered what the reason was the steel plate was not recommended - at least for the finer grits which is what I'm interested in.
Hey a few of us could get one of those and cut it into 8 6x3 inch lapping plates with a hacksaw??:).
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":2fe9uclw said:
Hey a few of us could get one of those and cut it into 8 6x3 inch lapping plates with a hacksaw??:).
Cheers
Gidon

Not without residual stress turning the results into pretzels (on a 1 thou scale that is)

BugBear

Alf":1h7rcd5a said:
You can get hunks of cast iron okay it seems, it's just getting them machined that might be the stumbling block. :?

Maybe an old no 5 1/2 or 6 plane sole upside down in a bench vice would make a good lapping plate? We know how to flatten those nicely, and they are cast iron. They occasionally turn up in flea markets and car boots without frogs or with worn out mouths etc.

BB - shame ;).
J - I have tried that with an old plane I already have. Trouble is it's not flat enough. And it's a lot work to get it good enough for flattening other stuff. I may try it again though - or try and pick up something flatter ...
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":2lsjedy2 said:
BB - shame ;).
J - I have tried that with an old plane I already have. Trouble is it's not flat enough. And it's a lot work to get it good enough for flattening other stuff. I may try it again though - or try and pick up something flatter ...
Cheers
Gidon

Hi -

How flat do you want it? Not a facetious question...just looking for what people find acceptable....

We can easily make a plate.... but what size would people want - how flat, and what price? (note - those are not independent variables!)

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob
Well my DMT Duosharp's are meant to be flat within 0.003" - and they seem plenty flat to me. I agree with Frank 8"x3" would be perfect. For me yep as cheap as possible - I personally wouldn't really want to pay more than £20 for something like that. Especially since if you want to use more than one grade of paste you'd need a plate for each. I may stretch to £30 I suppose ;).
Would be absolutely brilliant if you could produce something like this - and for those starting out perhaps some tubes of pastes too? And while I'm at some of those nice clear Veritas instructions that would clear up some of the mystique of diamond paste sharpening ;).
Cheers
Gidon

Hi -

Ok - it's been on the queue for awhile... so we'll see if we can push it ahead...

Tolerances will not be an issue - economically, we can do a 14" x 14" plate to within +-.0005"...

How - you ask?

On a great big diamond lapping machine (due soon!) 8)

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":2k2q3uiv said:
Now look what you've let happen; he's been able to gloat. #-o

Cast iron plates of any size would be lovely indeed, but I fear for the shipping cost... :? Would they be "Veritas" badged, and thus BriMarc-able...?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2asy8pgq said:
Rob Lee":2asy8pgq said:
Now look what you've let happen; he's been able to gloat. #-o

Cast iron plates of any size would be lovely indeed, but I fear for the shipping cost... :? Would they be "Veritas" badged, and thus BriMarc-able...?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf -

Not sure just yet... they're still a twinkle in some designer's eye....

:wink:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob - great stuff - please keep us posted if you can - cheers. Diamond lapping machine eh? Don't let bugbear see you're getting one of those ;).
Is that the criteria for something from LV being available through Brimarc then - it has to be badged Veritas?
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks - I spoke to the people on Chris's link - they had some too - different sizes. But I'm a little unsure about this plates - they have a textured surface I believe which I wouldn't think would suit the small micron paste? Plus they were a little vague on the accuracy of the plates - being second hand there were no guarantees. I may just wait for Rob now :).
Cheers
Gidon

Rob Lee":2ldcn080 said:
Hi -

How flat do you want it? Not a facetious question...just looking for what people find acceptable....

We can easily make a plate.... but what size would people want - how flat, and what price? (note - those are not independent variables!)

Cheers -

Rob

I've been using 12" x 3" polycarbonate pieces for diamond paste sharpening. It works well for the lower grits (45 & 15 micron) but I really want to try cast iron for the higher grits. Based on this my preference would be 12" x 3". I'd be willing to pay up to $50 a plate just because it's coming from a source I could trust.

Back