Diabetics feet! Who needs feet anyway...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:roll: All you diabetics out there - look after your bl00dy feet! ...............yesterday morning, my wonderful consultant asked me if I knew what I would be doing lunchtime today.................I said "having my toe removed?" and he said "got it in one".
Not pleasant, but neccessary.
I only went to the doctor in the first place to placate swmbo, and this is after the ensuing angioplasty and four months of wound dressings.
Phil.

I'm wondering if they'll let me take it home with me!

Sorry to hear that, as a fellow follower of the cult of Diabetes can I ask whether you had damaged it or is it just nerve damage?

Hope it goes ok. :D

phil.p":14hdyz2t said:
:roll: All you diabetics out there - look after your bl00dy feet! ...............yesterday morning, my wonderful consultant asked me if I knew what I would be doing lunchtime today.................I said "having my toe removed?" and he said "got it in one".
Not pleasant, but neccessary.
I only went to the doctor in the first place to placate swmbo, and this is after the ensuing angioplasty and four months of wound dressings.
Phil.

I'm wondering if they'll let me take it home with me!

QI watchers will know about this:

http://www.sourtoecocktailclub.com/rip.html

BugBear

Unfortnately you are no longer allowed to take any body parts away with you that have been removed (except placentas for some reason). Apparently it is all to do with risk of infection and fairly stringent guidelines that hospitals adhere to with regards to disposal/decontamination of body bits. A toe, a gallstone, a tooth - once personal trophies of the surgical art, now incinerator fodder.

Seriously, diabetes is a belter of an illness for mucking up your body, particularly when added to smoking. I hope the op went/goes ok for you and both you and your feet make a good recovery.

Adam

Sorry to hear that. Both my sons are diabetic but theirs seems to be bothering the other end more than the feet ( bursting blood vessels in their eyes )

Sorry to hear of your troubles Phil, you are right to post the warning to others. I have my feet checked annually as part of my diabetes care and so far everything has been okay. However, I have a friend who had to have a huge hole gouged out from the underside of his foot and replaced with somekind of synthetic material - that was major and the end of his working life, he had to retire,

Best wishes for the future

regards

Brian

Still relentless. The wound is the same size as it was last september, and I've been told I need yet another angioplasty (I've had one since the last post), but this one goes right down to the foot. The problem is that there is a 10% chance of my losing the lower leg, and it might not cause the wound to heal. I asked what would happen if I didn't have it - "there's a good chance of losing your lower leg". Excrement on a stick! I told swmbo that being the owner of a decent lathe, I'd feel morally obliged to make my own wooden leg, but I would need to purchase a nice parrot as well. Oh, for fix sake! was the reply.

Please, all you diabetics - they are not joking when they tell you to be careful with your feet!

Best of luck to you Phil, seems like it is time luck favoured you a bit. I have some minor clue as to what you are going through . I don't have the diabetic problem , just blood clots in my legs. A result of complications to do with the old prostate and treatment thereof. In my case they are treating with injections of Fragmin (a blood thinner). Once a day I swab the belly with alchahol (at least I have a large target area!) And go sub-dermal. Still get some swelling , but at least chunks are not breaking off and going to my brain or lungs. Keep up the humour though, helps me through the rough spots , can't see it causing harm either. Maybe it will help you too.
On the subject of humour , wife suggests that if the parrot upsets your wife , you might consider going with a decorative eye-patch. Just don't spring it on her unawares... she might take away your tool priveleges if she thinks you are not wearing your eye protection. (On the blood thinners it took a week to get mine to let me cut a damn sandwich let alone get back to whittlin.)

And so the saga continues. I now have two missing toes along with the joints behind them - and an ulcer that has spread across the front of the foot under the fourth and fifth toe. I had to have an angioplasty right down the leg and across the front of the foot, and a stent down through the femoral artery - it felt like someone kicked the crepe out of me from the inside, but hopefully it will save the amputation of the foot. :roll: :roll:

Back