Diabetics feet! Who needs feet anyway...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, very many thanks for posting this..I have type 2 , diagnosed about 5 years ago.
I have been taking the medication etc but had become complacent. Your post has been a salutary reminder - I for one really appreciate that.
I hope the outcome from your hospital visit is positive.
John

:( Well, I'm back! I had to have a below knee amputation. After a week or so I was shipped out to much smaller (much nicer) hospital for recuperation, physio, etc. There all sixteen stone of me fell smack bang on the stump, splitting all the flesh off the amputation site. I went back to the first hospital where they sewed me back together again, but after a week the flesh started to die so I then had an above knee amputation. Lady luck was not on my side.

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and hope you have seen the last of hospitals for ever. I to am a diabetic (type 1) and have been diabetic for 41 years since I was 17. Thankfully I still have all my digits and hope it stays that way but thanks for brining this to the attention of others. My step grand daughter aged 13 was diagnosed with type 1 only last week and at the moment she is finding it hard to come to terms with.

All the best

Graham

Graham,

My daughter was diagnosed Type 1 aged 4years; she is now 35 and produced a perfect baby girl 10 months ago, has a Law degree, a successful marriage and a good job. Don't let diabetes hold SGD back, take it by the scruff of the neck and kick the **** out of it.

As a parent I can recommend Diabetes UK Holiday and Weekend Camps - difficult to let her go on the first one when she was 5 years, but it did her good and she enjoyed it- another 3 camps followed - it removes the isolation when every kid on the camp injects and gave her confidence to manage her diabetes herself - the ultimate objective.

Brian

Phil,

Thanks for having the courage and selflessness for posting.
Hope you are on the up.
Take care

Brian

finneyb":3dg4eqyx said:
Graham,

My daughter was diagnosed Type 1 aged 4years; she is now 35 and produced a perfect baby girl 10 months ago, has a Law degree, a successful marriage and a good job. Don't let diabetes hold SGD back, take it by the scruff of the neck and kick the **** out of it.

As a parent I can recommend Diabetes UK Holiday and Weekend Camps - difficult to let her go on the first one when she was 5 years, but it did her good and she enjoyed it- another 3 camps followed - it removes the isolation when every kid on the camp injects and gave her confidence to manage her diabetes herself - the ultimate objective.

Brian

Thanks for that Brian I've passed the information on to my daughter. The problem at the moment is my SGD's mother is telling her how to do things and basically she hasn't got a clue. Yesterday she had insulin before breakfast again before lunch then at tea time she had insulin then had a pasty at 7:30pm she wanted to have sausage and chips my daughter her step mum said no but her mother said yes it was ok to have it. Where do you go.

Graham,

There is/has been a problem when teenagers are diagnosed - in that the parents have not been included in the training only the teenager; it looks to be compounded in your case. To get over this Diabetes UK have support networks for kids and parents that may be useful http://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area ... -in-Wales/ for kids and
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area ... -in-Wales/ for parents

It looks like your nearest Parent and Kids Group is Swansea - worth going to see what they do when all have got over the shock of diagnosis; getting psyched up for the first visit can be difficult. It's important to reduce the isolation and uncertainty for both parent and child.

And DUK do Parents & Child weekends which are good - if money is an issue they did have some financial support.

I am a past Trustee of DUK but having said that I have a lot of time JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation - Juvenile is US for Type 1) but I'm not sure what they do for support, maybe worth exploring.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Money is not a problem and I will pass on the information you have given. I have tried to give advice myself being diabetic for the last 41 years I think I know a little bit by now lol but the problem is I think to many people getting involved giving different views. The mother thinks she knows it all but from what I have heard so far is making a total mess of things.

Sorry to hear of your problems Phil, and I hope things improve sooner rather than later.

Although, you now have me worried. I found out today, that what I thought was a 'Morton's Nueroma' in my foot, is a build up of hardened tissue between my metatarsals. It is making my toe numb-ish, and I am hoping it's just a nerve problem, rather than circulation. My feet don't get cold, so I am hopeful.

The NHS recently 'moved the goalposts' downwards for the markers that indicate imminent type 2 Diabetes. That brought me into the frame, so I immediately hardened my low-carb diet, and in six weeks since I started, I am back to normal on the readings.

And the weight is starting to come off again! [-o<

Must be good to be home.
Hope you get your prosthetic soon - any point in putting gentle pressure on the system ?

Brian

Good grief, I have never looked at this thread, I suppose being non diabetic it has been of no interest.
Having read it, I can only hope you make a recovery to normality Phil, even if there is a bit less of you.
The thought of falling on the stump fill me with terror.

Get well soon Phil.

Maybe if you're not diabetic you wouldn't read the thread, but I bet it's made one or two people stop to think. I met an old friend the other day who told me is tablet controlled type 2, but that he hadn't measured his blood sugar or taken pills regularly for two years. He was quieter when he left me than when he met me.

Back