Diabetics feet! Who needs feet anyway...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phil,

I'm a type 2 insulin dependent for the last 18 yrs, if anything I've considered myself a bit anal about meds I test bloods 4 times a day and exercise 2-3 times a week. I was warned early on about the effects of not treating diabetes seriously. In spite of my efforts I've developed amongst other stuff peripheral neuropathy real problem in the workshop, but this pales into insignificance compared to your problems. I hope that this is the final chapter for your ordeal and you can return to enjoying life/hobby's, its inspired/frightened me to continue trying to be as healthy as I can. I really hope you're fully recovered soon.

Chas

smoggy49":331mw3zt said:
Hi Phil,

I'm a type 2 insulin dependent for the last 18 yrs, if anything I've considered myself a bit anal about meds I test bloods 4 times a day and exercise 2-3 times a week. I was warned early on about the effects of not treating diabetes seriously. In spite of my efforts I've developed amongst other stuff peripheral neuropathy real problem in the workshop, but this pales into insignificance compared to your problems. I hope that this is the final chapter for your ordeal and you can return to enjoying life/hobby's, its inspired/frightened me to continue trying to be as healthy as I can. I really hope you're fully recovered soon.

Chas

Hi Chas,

I'm insulin dependent and have been for the last 42 years since aged 17, I think you'll find you are a type 1 diabetic if your insulin dependent.

HTH

Grayo

Grayo":116m6jdg said:
smoggy49":116m6jdg said:
Hi Phil,

Chas

Hi Chas,

I'm insulin dependent and have been for the last 42 years since aged 17, I think you'll find you are a type 1 diabetic if your insulin dependent.

HTH

Grayo

Not totally sure if that is true. I've been type2 - tablet controlled for around the last 10 years or so and was told early on that some stage I might have to go on to insulin.
Whether that was to put the wind up me and encourage me to be 'good' with my diet as well as take the pills or whether type 2 patients can be come dependent on insulin I'm not sure.
Certainly it's true about foot problems and diabetics. They are very careful to check my feet both for nerve reaction and listen to blood flow at my annual check up.

I stand corrected in that case I always thought if you injected insulin you were classed as type 1. Glad to hear you are finally out of hospital thou Phil and hope they soon sort you out with a leg.

Thankfully after 42 years of being diabetic I still have all my limbs but recently started using a chiropodist to look after my feet and cut my nails. On the last two visits she has drawn blood while cutting my nails which is making me think it's about time I kicked her into touch while I still have a foot to do it with.

Hi Phil,
Are you healed up and back in the workshop? I hope so. Your story and resilience have stayed with me and altered the way I view life at work and at home, I'm sure there are other diabetics that feel the same way. Thanks for sharing this stuff.
Chas

I have no workshop at the moment as we moved into a house that didn't have one - I was to build a new one, but we've to move again now as this business has forced the move (and something else has delayed it - long story). I couldn't do much at the moment anyway, as I'm scooting around the house on two office chairs, as they can't even think about fitting a prosthetic leg as I still have an open wound on the end off the stump. It's an entertainment watching me get up and down the five steps to my house with one leg. I'm home on my own all day, and the boredom is driving me nuts - as you might have gathered from the speed of this follow up.
Thanks for the enquiry.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Glad you're coping its a shame about the slow healing of your stump. You'll have to get the drawing software fired up and plan a place for the new workshop and then the detail of it. And remember as someone famous once said "a man needs a shed he can stand erect in" so none of these lean to affairs a proper job! So you just you keep on keeping on.

Chas

I was doing some research on a different subject and came across a lot of medical research on the use of Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy for diabetic ulcers. There are I don't believe a lot of chambers in the UK, but reading a few of the articles it certainly would appear that for those who may find themselves in your unfortunate position may find it of value.

There are lots of articles on the subject on the WEB

Phil I've got to ask, why did they let you home with an open wound ?
I've been under the knife a few times but never allowed home in your condition.
If it's to personal a question tell me to foxtrot oscar :lol:

Probably because there's a lot less germs floating around at home and the wound is probably something the District Nurse can deal with?

Rod

Harbo":2jesqm64 said:
Probably because there's a lot less germs floating around at home and the wound is probably something the District Nurse can deal with?

Rod

Totally agree about less germs, but still rubbish treatment for a patient with health issues like Phil.

:cry: I've just wiped about an A4 page of one finger typing out by closing the wrong tab, so I'll start again.
I think the reason I was sent home was because I'd been there about three weeks already for no real reason, and there's more chance of catching something is greater inside than out (I was carrying MRSA before). Where I was is a "community hospital" to where we were shipped for recuperation from the main operating hospital (Treliske, which believe me is conveyor belt medicine), and I was acutely aware having been stuck in Treliske waiting for someone else to be housed that some other poor sod there was going quietly insane waiting for my bed in CRCH, so I wasn't unhappy to go. Where I was wasn't going to influence the healing of the wound for the better one iota, I have community nurses three times a week to dress it. It is healing, but slowly (hopefully more quickly now), and hopefully the beginning of the month they'll start trying to fit me for a leg.
Looking at my discharge papers, I'm surprised they didn't have sectioned. I had a pleasant chat with a young lady whom I didn't realise was actually a psychiatrist sent to assess my "low state of mind". I told her I wasn't at all upset at having an entirely preventable accident, and that I wasn't at all bored stuck in a room on my own with no TV or music because I had a friend - a silverfish called Arthur. He lived in the flourescent tube diffuser. He didn't speak to me at all - not one word - I kept asking him why he just walked all the way from one end to the other and back and not once did he say a word! He kept me company for hours. :)

phil.p":3c6jk1ua said:
I told her I wasn't at all upset at having an entirely preventable accident, and that I wasn't at all bored stuck in a room on my own with no TV or music because I had a friend - a silverfish called Arthur. He lived in the flourescent tube diffuser. He didn't speak to me at all - not one word - I kept asking him why he just walked all the way from one end to the other and back and not once did he say a word! He kept me company for hours. :)

Sir I applaud your sense of humour =D>
Keep up the good work.

Hope you soon get the infection sorted Phil and get the new leg fitted. I can imagine the frustration.
Cheers,
John

Well, eight months after the amputation the wound has nearly healed and I've got my new leg. It's going to be a nightmare learning to walk again. More than two and a half years later, I've paid very dearly for ignoring a little sore on my toe - I'm shortly off to the podiatrist, I've a small sore on my big toe...

So, all you diabetics - look after your bl00dy feet!!!! :)

Back