dhlogcabins.co.uk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone else had used these guys before?

Specifically I am replacing a (BIG) old outbuilding in the garden that is collapsing. This is almost identical in size / layout, and therefore looks ideal....

http://dhlogcabins.co.uk/uk/product/223/1569/13m-x-5m-severn-5-grande-xl-130mm-walls-log-cabin

I particularly interested in the 130mm walls as I want it to be "habitable" (not that I have any plans to live in it) But I am thinking of dedicating a room as a home theater and I'd like it to be to a similar standard to a room in the house.

Si

are you sure you want to buy 'off the shelf'? I think you could save a lot of money by building it yourself. Even getting something built by a builder would be less than that imho.

WiZeR":2g4f2o64 said:
are you sure you want to buy 'off the shelf'? I think you could save a lot of money by building it yourself. Even getting something built by a builder would be less than that imho.

I don't think a lot of money by doing it yourself, I have dome some calculation for a 4,5 x 6 mts shed an those prices in that website look atractive to me. or maybe is just me :? what are the tipical figures in this forum for a workshop £3500 - £4500?

andycorleone":21auzt9o said:
I don't think a lot of money by doing it yourself, I have dome some calculation for a 4,5 x 6 mts shed an those prices in that website look atractive to me. or maybe is just me :? what are the tipical figures in this forum for a workshop £3500 - £4500?

I'd agree the price of a "build-your-own" can be in the £3000+ region esp when you starting adding high quality insulation.

In your link, its unclear to be if the roof is insulated and I suspect not - A) as its doesn't look like it is and B) it seems to be a significant extra cost. In addition, there is no point buying walls that good without getting double glazing.

I must have misread it as why put all that wall insulation in without roof insulation - that wouldn't make sense.

Adam

I must have misread it as why put all that wall insulation in without roof insulation - that wouldn't make sense.

I think you did read correctly, as roof insulation is the last of the additional extras on the list. As to why who knows marketing? price points before the extras?

Alan

I have no idea how much it costs to build your own - I really need to look into it - but these look really rempting - thanks for the link.
£2200 for a 5x5m log cabin sounds like a good price to me.
Cheers
Gidon

I have looked into these ones, as a local garden centre is selling these, And i think they are a good price for what you get.

Yes building your own can be cheaper, but also a lot more work, this one is done in two to three days, (and that is something you absolutely need to take into consideration), and there is no to very little forward thinking needed in this on, so very limited sleepless nights :wink:

My 16'x8' with pent roof has cost me £3200, all in, so far. If you pro-rata that price to the 13mx5m that comes to £16,000, which is considerably more than the price quoted even with the added insulation and electrics.

Thanks for all the replies guys...

Having built a much smaller shed (8'x12') and with insulation / lining etc. I reckon that was £1500ish without electrics or base. Funny how lots of little things add up like door hinges / screws (new tools for building :oops: )

The real kicker for me is the time. Running my own business and 2 young kids mean I just don't have enough free time to build something of that scale in a practical timescale.

The other option as Wizer pointed out is getting a builder in, which apart from finding a decent one, I think the costs would be at least the same.

Finally I'm going to do this by the letter of the law wrt to BC + Planning. Planning shouldn't be an issue as I'm replacing like for like (I've had this indication from the planning dept. already over the phone just need it in writing). They did say due to the size I'd need BC involved, but I'm hoping that this will be simply rubber stamped as a log cabin supplier can provide structural calcs etc.

Si

exigetastic":1bcpgzps said:
I'm hoping that this will be simply rubber stamped as a log cabin supplier can provide structural calcs etc.

Si

Ker-ching. You'd like to pay for formal calculations sir? Certainly, just see on our price list here......... :?

Adam

Latest posts

Back