Workshop layout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a time served joiner so there is no issues with the building structure. J

Yea i have done a few drawings but i am trying to learn how to use sketch up.

cheers
as an Architect and Construction Engineer I see a different structure to the one that you see. ;) I can only see the inherent structural weaknesses and ergonomic design flaws in theshed construction....... fortunately it is only a shed and not a habitable space .!

Learning to use Sketch up is all very well, when you need to use it regularly for design work in order to produce construction drawings but for space organisation and flow its completely unnecessary when the job can be done more quickly and effectively by freehand sketching. You'd never find a professional designer working up scheme with a client by using any form of CAD program. Its too slow and unwieldy . You'd only produce a CAD drawing when the design has been firmed up and finalised.

it would seem to me that you haven't really thought about what you intend doing in the shed /workshop and how you intend to use the space hence the procrastination with sketchup.
Why not buy a A4 pad of graph paper so that you can draw your space and equipment etc to scale and make a list of the type of jobs you think you might want to do in your workshop which will help you design the layout.

My previous workshop had a floorspace of approx 8 x 5m.
Double door left of centre entrance on the 5m end.
Along rhs was a radial arm saw bench approx 5m long with wood storage under. A couple of small fixed windows above. At far end of this a large Jet extractor with one port hosed to a 4" galvanised pipe along back of bench for ras and other port had a 3m flexi hose.
Along lhs was a tall floor cupboard and 2m workbench with a run of opening windows.
350mm disc sander, morticer, bandsaw, table saw, router table, spindle moulder and p/t all sat on castors and could be rolled out into the middle of the floorspace, be hooked up to the 3m extractor hose and plugged into sockets suspended on chains from the ceiling. An air filter was suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the area and a numatic power tool vac was attached to various machines as a second point of extraction as needed.
Far short wall opposite door was for main timber storage.

This layout meant I could safely work around an 8x4 sheet or machine timber 3m + in length. A ceiling height of 2.5m + also meant I could flip sheets. I had space to work on anything that I could safely carry or lift.

Colin

as an Architect and Construction Engineer I see a different structure to the one that you see. ;) I can only see the inherent structural weaknesses and ergonomic design flaws in theshed construction....... fortunately it is only a shed and not a habitable space .!

Learning to use Sketch up is all very well, when you need to use it regularly for design work in order to produce construction drawings but for space organisation and flow its completely unnecessary when the job can be done more quickly and effectively by freehand sketching. You'd never find a professional designer working up scheme with a client by using any form of CAD program. Its too slow and unwieldy . You'd only produce a CAD drawing when the design has been firmed up and finalised.

it would seem to me that you haven't really thought about what you intend doing in the shed /workshop and how you intend to use the space hence the procrastination with sketchup.
Why not buy a A4 pad of graph paper so that you can draw your space and equipment etc to scale and make a list of the type of jobs you think you might want to do in your workshop which will help you design the layout.

ok Johnny.......

Yes you do see a different structure as it is a very poor attempt at sketch up but i know what it is. Its a solid built wooden garage.

Do you want me to post pictures of my doodles? I have used sketch up as i am trying to learn how to use it and everybody can make them out the general size/idea of what it looks like, i am no expert at sketch or CAD. I am not trying to work up a scheme with any client so i really can't understand your reply. i think you have missed the point of the thread.

I know exactly what work/projects i intend to do, i was looking for advice/suggestions on workshop layout which i have received from everyone apart from yourself.

ok Johnny.......

Yes you do see a different structure as it is a very poor attempt at sketch up but i know what it is. Its a solid built wooden garage.

Do you want me to post pictures of my doodles? I have used sketch up as i am trying to learn how to use it and everybody can make them out the general size/idea of what it looks like, i am no expert at sketch or CAD. I am not trying to work up a scheme with any client so i really can't understand your reply. i think you have missed the point of the thread.

I know exactly what work/projects i intend to do, i was looking for advice/suggestions on workshop layout which i have received from everyone apart from yourself.
its not the quality of the sketch up drawing that I was referring to ......
Its the inadequacy of the construction design of your shed that is shown in the drawing.
Let me give you a simple example of what I am pointing out. Most of the door openings in your garage/shed are shown to be at the ends of the walls. This leaves just the timber wall plate above the door to tie the adjacent wall to and to provide structural integrity of the whole structure including support to the roof . This is considered a very poor construction detail . I am willing to bet that there is no roof bracing either . You don't need to do structural calculations to see that any undue static and dynamic loading from snow and wind and the weight of the roof materials together with whatever you add to that by storing wood etc in the roof could potentially prove a problem.......

From my little experience in woodworking I would start by looking at how I would arrange the door openings and the internal space to handle the largest most awkward pieces that you are likely to have to deal with ie 2440x1220 timber sheets . Think about how you would feed the sheets into the workshop and how and where you would lay them out to work on them and still be able to move around the edges to work on the project and access your tool cupboards etc. try to design the layout so that every space is flexible enough to use for multiple purposes . Having fixed pieces of equipment in the middle of your workshop is going to be extremely inflexible and restrictive so maybe consider using tool stations on castors

and i don't normal cut longer material.
Don't think only in the present, make sure you cover all possibities and I would either have some form of hatch each end of the mitre saw run or move it so you feed from the door, it is really annoying when you come to do something and you find you cannot get the material into the machine. Also you will never get everything right no matter how hard you think and plan because something will always come along to try you.

its not the quality of the sketch up drawing that I was referring to ......
Its the inadequacy of the construction design of your shed that is shown in the drawing.
Let me give you a simple example of what I am pointing out. Most of the door openings in your garage/shed are shown to be at the ends of the walls. This leaves just the timber wall plate above the door to tie the adjacent wall to and to provide structural integrity of the whole structure including support to the roof . This is considered a very poor construction detail . I am willing to bet that there is no roof bracing either . You don't need to do structural calculations to see that any undue static and dynamic loading from snow and wind and the weight of the roof materials together with whatever you add to that by storing wood etc in the roof could potentially prove a problem.......

From my little experience in woodworking I would start by looking at how I would arrange the door openings and the internal space to handle the largest most awkward pieces that you are likely to have to deal with ie 2440x1220 timber sheets . Think about how you would feed the sheets into the workshop and how and where you would lay them out to work on them and still be able to move around the edges to work on the project and access your tool cupboards etc. try to design the layout so that every space is flexible enough to use for multiple purposes . Having fixed pieces of equipment in the middle of your workshop is going to be extremely inflexible and restrictive so maybe consider using tool stations on castors

Nothing like taking the hint johnny...

I know the workshop is solid because i have seen it, you have not. You are not telling me anything i do not know already and would be delighted if you would stop replying.

Don't think only in the present, make sure you cover all possibities and I would either have some form of hatch each end of the mitre saw run or move it so you feed from the door, it is really annoying when you come to do something and you find you cannot get the material into the machine. Also you will never get everything right no matter how hard you think and plan because something will always come along to try you.

I have the ability to cut 4.8m lengths of timber on the mitre station and rip 2.4m sheets on the table saw. As said previously everything is on heavy duty castors so i can open the double doors and wheel the table saw/thicknesser over to rip/plane longer lengths of timber.
I have the mitre station and table saw outfield table built and have plenty room to move around. Going to start making the MFT shortly.

I will put i couple of pictures up when it looks a bit tidier.

Thanks

Hi

On the subject of the MFT, take a look at this, it certainly gave me the inspiration for new ideas and working differently. MATCHFIT Woodworking Jig and Fixture System | #1 Best-Seller in Jigs and Fixtures

I now have some holes but also dovetails and find it so flexible, location and clamping just easy.

Hi Spectric,

I have not seen a workbench like that before, i will give it a watch just now.
I was undecided between dog hole and t track MFT but i think there is more options with the dog hole MFT and like the look of the benchdogs.co.uk fence system, Will be great for ease of breaking down sheet materials.

Thanks again.

Hey,

I’m in the process of planning and positioning machinery. I would say with the size you’re thinking maybe look at Matt Estlea’s workshop tour. It will hopefully give you an idea of a layout that incorporates ducting too.

The other thing I looked at was the Wood-whisperers 12 tips on workshop set up.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/12-shop-layout-tips/

The doors can be used to your advantage as it extends the workability of your materials if they are open (weather permitting of course)

Also, sketch up is great, I did some rough sketches but once you've drawn out everything you can move the exact machinery around the room and try lots of different layouts.

Hope this helps, you can download the machines at their rough dimensions from the google 3D warehouse too, that will help to get your plan looking the way you want too.

Back