DeWalt DW621K Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodStoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, the grotty little Trend T3 I've been using as my 1/4" machine became too much to put up with - the final straw was the silly person spring inside the collet assembly firing out a rebate cutter into my thumb as I struggled with the two spanners necessary to tighten the thing - and I decided it was time for a replacement. After a certain amount of research, I decided on the DeWalt - the choice finally coming down to the innovative dust extractor.

Got one from Jewson - who very sportingly agreed to match the Axminster sale price - and I am very impressed. The extraction through the vertical slider bar makes the cutting process far more easy to see (especially when the inner disc of plastic is removed, which is no impediment to the extraction as far as I can tell). The spindle locking button is conveniently located above the spindle (which might make it harder in a table - but I have a 1/2" Trend T11 mounted permanently in the table anyway); the soft start really does live up to its name - the machine does not move a fraction when spooling up. My only quibble is the safety catch on the on switch; not really necessary for the experienced user, though of course being American and a new machine, perhaps they are afraid of being sued by Reg Prescott (or more likely Bubba-Joe Prescott III, Jr.).

I haven't used the fence yet, but it's a fairly standard micro-adjuster mechanism, though quite long and faced with some low-friction plastic. The plunge depth adjuster has the standard three-stop pre-setting base, and the dial seems reasonably sturdy. The general build quality is good, it has a solid and smooth feel to it. It isn't going to put Festool out of business, but for £200 it's as good as I hoped.

350472_DW621copy.jpg

Oh drat, I put this on the wrong section. Sorry - I blame the effect of mahogany fumes...

Yep, great isn't it, dust extraction is superb too.

Spooky I've got the T11 in a table too, great combination.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I think they are great too as the last firm I worked for got the Elu version (98e I think) and, I will be getting one myself as a shop near me was doing them £135 to clear them :)

Ps I hope they still have them :roll:

WoodStoat":3gz161em said:
Oh drat, I put this on the wrong section. Sorry - I blame the effect of mahogany fumes...
Well I moved it, hope its were you thought it should have been in the first place now. :roll: Just how hard are you sniffing that mahogany. :whistle:

It is a very nice router but I hate the silly person switch on those much preferring the slide on/off one. Dust extraction idea is great though.

mailee":2h0apmc7 said:
It is a very nice router but I hate the silly person switch on those much preferring the slide on/off one. Dust extraction idea is great though.

Mailee

The funny thing is I like the switch as I got to use the router a lot when we first got it :)

Yes Colin it is horses for courses of course and some people do like this idea from a safety point of view it is good. I just personally dont like them as I often use the router holding it by almost anywhere sometimes and this can't be done with the 'silly person switch' I often rout wooden signs and use the base plate to control the machine so it would be of no use to me in these situations. Still, not knocking the machine it is a very good router and I have two De Walts myself along with two Elu models and they are the bees knees. :wink:

Mailee

You can lock the switch, it can be a pita to get it right at first :roll:
If you pull the switch on and then push the bit your thumb is on, it should lock :)

I also see what you mean if that is your problem.

The Trend whatever it is I bought to replace my aged and smoking Elu 96E (which is the number I think Colin C was searching for) is indeed a word that I'm ( so Newbie Neil advises me) not allowed to say here - but it is.

My two bigger routers are clones of the Elu 177e - CMT's as is the larger deWalt. Probably the smaller dw is a clone of the 96e.

Chris.

I do appoloise Colin, I didn't realise that the switch on that model locked! I assumed it was the type that you had to hold in all the time like I think the Trend one. That is a different matter then. Sorry for the confusion. Yes scrums the smaller De Walt is a clone of the Elu 96E, I have both. :oops:

Mailee
No need to appoloise as I only found out by chance myself :shock: :)

Scrums

I did get the number wrong but it was the 97e ( which is the same as the one that WoodStoat has )

I have to agree that the DW621 is the 1/4" router I would recommend most out of all those that I have tried.

I have two - one for general use and one for dovetailing using the Leigh jig. This means I can leave it set up all the time. For dovetailing it is superb - the dust extraction takes everything away from the work leaving the joint as clean as a whistle.

The only complaint I have is about the quality of the casting enclosing the locking pin. On both my routers the casting broke long ago and I have to insert a thin screwdriver to lock the armature.

Please don't suggest I just get them fixed! That would suggest an organised and disciplined personality!

I actually like the silly person switch. One slip when dovetailing and you could easily drop a spinning router on your nadgers - a thought I would rather not dwell on!

Brad

Brad Naylor":243mcovd said:
I actually like the silly person switch. One slip when dovetailing and you could easily drop a spinning router on your nadgers - a thought I would rather not dwell on!

Brad

How about a late Christmas pressie - a Kevlar nadger guard?

Groin%20Protector.JPG

I have two DeWalt 621's and a 625 but none match the quality of my Elu 96E. The ferrite speed control ring broke after two weeks on the 625 although it was cheap and easy to replace.
My Elu is still running with no play in the bearings after many years of use and abuse.

Watch out!!! :x

On all my DeWalt routers the shafts are not concentric to the base and fitting router collets for template routing is a real pain requiring lots of fiddling and adjustment. The 621 is supplied with a 1/4" collet but accepts an 8mm one with no problem.

Season's greetings,

Aldel

Thanks, Colin, for the tip on the silly person switch - I've just been rebating some parts for a blanket box, and it was much easier not having to concentrate on keeping the trigger pulled.

If it starts playing up and needs to go back, I'll certainly consider the Elu as a replacement.

Back