dewalt 27105 flip over saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clout

Reaction score
I recently bought the saw as an up grade to my old elu flip and found the motor sounded more like the motors that you get on the cheap saws , it has a brushless motor which i know little about ,and aswell the motor cuts out quite easily ,not really what dwelt describes it as ,does anyone have similar experience with this so called next generation of flip overs ? thanks

Hi,

Firstly,welcome to the forum :D

Secondly;sorry,have no experience of your model of saw.As a DIYer/hobbyist,have never been able to justify spending DeWalt sort of money on tools - but reading on this (and other) forums,the quality of DeWalt seems to be dropping,with production being outsourced to places such as the Far East.

Andrew

Hi ans welcomer!

What you are saying concerns me somewhat. I have a DW742 (the DW yellow version of the old Elu TGS) and my local DW dealer is really pushing me to go to the new flip-over as I feel that I need both a chop saw AND a rip saw for installations. This new saw not only has greater capacity but it's also supposed to be more accurate in chop mode. From what I can gather the motor is a brushless "hybrid" motor, more like a DC stepper than an induction motor. This is something that they supposedly needed to do to get the motor to spin faster in chop mode - but it does draw more current than the old DW742/742, so is your transformer big enough (assuming that you're on 110volt)? There's long been a warning not to run the older 110volt flip-over on anything smaller than a 3kVA site transformer as the startup loads are so high (apparently the motors burns out eventually on smaller transformers). I used to find I could stall the DW742 in rip mode, especially if I was sawing wet timber (e.g. tanalised), but a move several years back to a 3.3kVA site transformer all but cured that.

Please keep us informed

Scrit

Thanks everyone for your replies about the flipover saw ` regarding Scrit`s point he made about the transformer will have to check it out .but its the same as ive allways used with my old Elu . Cutting through wet tanalized timber takes it out of a site saw anyway so i didnt look at the transformer being a problem :thanks ` clout

Scrit,

I’m not a pro but have used an Elu TGS and Festool and Elektra Beckum trimming saws (Mafell calls them pull-push saws). If I had to decide between the TGS style and the trimming saws I’d definitely opt for the latter.
Have you ever had a look at trimming saws such as the Mafell Erika and the Festool Precisio?

Regards,

Christian

Hi Christian

Yes I've seen them, but there's a couple of issues - I don't reckon the Erika is as quick to use, or as accurate as a chop saw on large cornice mouldings and it just hasn't the mitre sawing capacity I'm after (tried one about 10 or so years back and simply couldn't live with it) and the Festool is way too expensive for site use round here (i.e. twice the price of the DW) and again doesn't have the mitre sawing capacity I'm looking for. That mitre capacity is for smaller cornice mouldings and I prefer to transfer the angle straight from the piece onto the saw and cut - without measuring it - using something like a Trend Angle Fix. That little device helps overcome the less than wonderful markings on the DW flip-over and speeds up measuruing and cutting no end. The biggest annoyance with the Elu/DW flip overs is their weight - although they are extremely robust and capable of withstanding being dropped at times (depends how far, though :roll: ).The Trend thingy helps sort out the accuracy issue so the only thing really amiss is the lack of capacity, and the newer machine with a 12in blade over the 10in answers that - they also appear to be easier to move on their own built-in wheel barrow. The first time you have to drag a table saw and a chop saw up to the 5th floor (or above) is normally the last time you want to do it, hence the interest in a single package!

Scrit

Scrit":21tcsisk said:
the Festool is way too expensive for site use round here (i.e. twice the price of the DW)

Fair point, but a bit exaggerated - you can pick up a CS70 for just under a grand including VAT, and a good price for the big Dewalt seems to be about £750 incl.

and again doesn't have the mitre sawing capacity I'm looking for.

That 305mm Dewalt flipsaw gives:
Cutting Capacity at 90°/90° (W x H): 50x155 mm
Cutting Capacity at 90°/90° (W x H): 205x63 mm
Cutting Capacity at 45°/90° (W x H): 45x155 mm
Cutting Capacity at 45°/90° (W x H): 160x35 mm
Cutting Capacity at 90°/45° (W x H): 60x110 mm
Cutting Capacity at 90°/45° (W x H): 205x50 mm
Max. Cutting Capacity at 45°/45°: 60x100 mm
Max. Cutting Capacity [Sawbench position 90°/90°]: 0 - 81 mm
Max. Cutting Capacity [Sawbench position 90°/45°]: 0 - 56 mm

The Festool has 70mm depth of cut at 90° and 48mm at 45°, with a length of cut of 320mm if the end of the stock is 16mm thick - less, obviously, with thicker stock. Not a huge difference there except on ripsaw where the bigger blade buys you another cm of depth of cut. On the mitre saw settings, they look pretty equal on depth of cut, and on length of cut the Festool ought to out-do the deWalt although the specs aren't easy to compare.

Jake":3d5kd4us said:
Scrit":3d5kd4us said:
the Festool is way too expensive for site use round here (i.e. twice the price of the DW)
Fair point, but a bit exaggerated - you can pick up a CS70 for just under a grand including VAT, and a good price for the big Dewalt seems to be about £750 incl.
Currently on offer at two of my local trade outlets last week, new, not recon, at circa. £495+VAT (before negotiations, too) - i.e. just over half the Festool price, albeit for a 240 volt model. Several eBay outlets running at around the same level quite recently (alright, so that's a "factory recon" but it's unused and has full warranty). So not exagerated at all.

Jake":3d5kd4us said:
.... and again doesn't have the mitre sawing capacity I'm looking for.
...Not a huge difference there except on ripsaw where the bigger blade buys you another cm of depth of cut.
OK, but my requirement - and I'm not alone here - is to have a reasonable chop saw capacity AND a useable rip saw capacity in one package. That 1cm is the difference between having to "deep" (a hazardous and more time-consuming operation) and straight rip sawing in one pass. And I already know from experience that the DW742/743 could do with some extra rip capacity (depth) on some jobs.

As for length of cut, if that becomes the criterion then something like a Makita LS1013 or deWalt DW718 is where you need to look - but then they can't rip solid stock plus that puts me into having to drag two machines out of the van :cry: . Also at the end of the day I can equip two vans for little more than the cost of ONE Festool - so exactly where is the Festool advantage in this case? The older DWs and Elus just go on forever - if the new ones do as well then the Festool is simply an expensive (overpriced?) alternative

Scrit

Scrit":20a8ki8p said:
Currently on offer at two of my local trade outlets last week, new, not recon, at circa. £495+VAT (before negotiations, too) - i.e. just over half the Festool price, albeit for a 240 volt model.... So not exagerated at all.

Good prices! Still a little though, once you've deducted the VAT back off the Festool price, £500 versus £850- but not enough to justify me making the point!

Scrit":20a8ki8p said:
OK, but my requirement - and I'm not alone here - is to have a reasonable chop saw capacity AND a useable rip saw capacity in one package. That 1cm is the difference between having to "deep" (a hazardous and more time-consuming operation) and straight rip sawing in one pass.

Fair enough - your initial comment was that it's mitre saw capacity was too small, which is why I said what I said.

Also at the end of the day I can equip two vans for little more than the cost of ONE Festool - so exactly where is the Festool advantage in this case? The older DWs and Elus just go on forever - if the new ones do as well then the Festool is simply an expensive (overpriced?) alternative

I don't know that I can argue with that from a business perspective - I've owned both (well TGS, not this one) and I know which I prefer to use but that's a most un-businesslike perspective. Speed of conversion between rip and cross-cut/mitre is better on the Festool, and I find its much more accurate and easier to set up for a cut. Better dust extraction, etc, but the real advantages are the flexibility that you can get by buying even more expensive acessories, for functions you don't sound like you need.

1.65 vans versus 1 van is a compelling argument!

Jake":2g2rhjjc said:
1.65 vans versus 1 van is a compelling argument!
That's the worst thing about doing this for a living - there's no such thing as "toys" any more (allegedly :wink: )

Scrit

Latest posts

Back