dewalt 18v combo drill problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lark

Established Member
Reaction score
my power drill will not turn past the 21 tork.... to the drill and hammer

it will turn from 1 all the way to the 21 (screwdriver part) then stuck

is there away around this like would it be dust or something

dewalt 925k the older one

Most likely to be dust so it may be time to open it up and give it a sevice and see what else it could be..

I have a Dad that used to do this. He used to exchange and recondition power tools in London and has ammased a nice collection of older DeWalts, Makita, Bocsh etc that were exchanged for new or recon ones. When mine jam I just pass them to him and get a swap. He also takes the battery packs apart and changes the rechargable cells inside when they are dead.

When you open it up you will find just behind the chuck a gearbox and a lot of small cogs. Be careful, they have a habit of jumping out all over the floor, if it just happens to be on the living room carpet you will be killed as they are covered in grease.

Once open you should be able to see what is wrong, may just be a chipped cog.

Be systematic and it is quite straight forward.

Spares are readily available.

Mick

thanks for the great advice. i will try and open it maybe tomorrow...... i do laptops and things so i should be ok i know how annoying fiddly bits can be :)

if its something not like dust and i cant work it out....
night train
london or most places bit far as i dont drive yet...
would he do something by post well anyway guess come to the road of what to do when i get there :)

like should i go for the newer drills with type battery and so on

hey just a small update....

i took it apart the drill.
when the front "tork/hole front" is not connected to the middle part. it will turn easy

when the middle part is connected the bit with the long pin goes through to the front tork part then still having problems.
long as i dont turn it past drill and hammer i can use them.

soon as i click to the 21 tork a louder click noise comes up then it wont let me go back

Lark":1qkbr6oh said:
if its something not like dust and i cant work it out....
night train
london or most places bit far as i dont drive yet...
would he do something by post well anyway guess come to the road of what to do when i get there :)

Oh, Dad's retired now, I have all his left over tools, in abundance! I built my folks a granny flat at the back of my house so that is where I send stuff for servicing now. He still has a workshop and all the ability but he doesn't 'work' anymore.

Still, if you get stuck you can post photos of the bits and we can all advise.

thanks for the reply...
right now leaving it on drill and hammer wont move it to the screw driver settings..

friend also going to have a look he said seen one before so any luck and might work again.

i have 3 of the Bosch 10.8v anyway
dewalt for walls and more power what i rarely do as only hobby/ home stuff.

Have a look here for an exploded view of a Dewalt combi-drill.

http://www.powertoolspares.com/bd_model ... Drills+18v

You can see that the torque ring is another set of what look like gears or splines, you need to look for broken or shiny bits. Again be careful there are a lot of loose bits and pieces and springs that jump out at you.

I am no expert but I do like taking things apart. (Just not always able to put them back together again) :D

I have also been known to have confidence in excess of my ability!

Good luck

Mick

i think i see a chip in the front part through one of the holes but i dont know how to take the chuck off to get to the screws for tork part.

as them parts seem cheap enough i might as well do it

if it was like £30 no point as i only need it for drill anyway

Back