DETECTIVE WORK PLEASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwc812

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Bought a small Tunbridge ware stationery box at auction.
The wood mosaic topographical picture on the curved lid not found in my reference book.
The box would be 100 - 150 years old, and view probably UK or Ireland.
Could be a castle or stately home, looks like a lake or river in the foreground.
Any suggestions would be welcome
Cheers
John

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,299
Hi

Your box is actually Mauchline ware which was a type of transfer printing - Tunbridge ware was micro mosaic made from differing woods.

Ignore the ramblings of a myopic poster - magnifying the image shows it to be Tunbridge ware - off to get my coat :oops:

Regards Mick

Hi all,
Thank you 225 viewers who looked at the problem,
but no firm identification so far.
Thanks to Mick, Pete and Benchwayze for their suggestions.
Cheers
John

I'm wondering if it is an artist's representation or an idealised picture. Looks like an abbey on the left (shades of Melrose Abbey?) but then you have a house which seems sited very close to the abbey. Buckfast Abbey does have other buildings close by, however.

Chrispy":1upfp3nm said:
Well Sherlock might use a process of elimination, if it helps it's not my house!
You're just saying that to keep in the lower council tax band.
Have you changed the name from "Chrispy Towers"
John

A lot has changed then.

No clock on the box picture. AFAIK the clock has always been there.
The casements are different
Eton College is castellated between the two towers, of the main entrance.
The buildings to the right must have been demolished.

You might be right Tim, but I think there are far too many dissimilarities.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt ... =yfp-t-903

Picture 1 and 6 especially look entirely different. Maybe it's been altered then
I dunno! :?
If I'm wrong then, 'Ready about, Check Fore Aft Main. Jolly Fine boating weather!

Or the clock tower is another part of the college, or from another angle. I haven't got Google Earth on this laptop, so I can't have a shufty! :D

Benchwayze":81ce3n96 said:
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AtebotpJmll_K7yeLCiMs2M4hJp4?p=Eton+College+images&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-903

Picture 1 and 6 especially look entirely different. Maybe it's been altered then
I dunno! :?
If I'm wrong then, 'Ready about, Check Fore Aft Main. Jolly Fine boating weather!

Think we are both right but yours is taken from the land. Mine (and the box) from the other bank of the Thames

There's one single photo of the same box picture on Google that I could see - it's a sale advert and states that it is a rare scene - Uk seller but priced at $1951...

Morning All
YOU'VE CRACKED IT!
I knew you wonderful people would sort it.
I will settle for Eton College across the river about 1860,
this would tie in with the date of the box by Thomas Barton.
I will settle even more if it is rare and worth $1951.
MANY THANKS
John
Attached a similar 1800s view

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 227

Latest posts

Back