desktop jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

during my next stay in Britain I would like to buy a desktop jointer.
I have read Charley's review of the Perform.
On paper I think the SIP 01334 seems attractive. Given its weight it should be more stable than for instance the Perform CCJ.
Are there any forum members using these small machines? If so your advice is very welcome.

Thanks, Hans

Hans,

I have the SIP machine.
I think it is a great little machine, I especially love the facility they included for dust extraction.
One thing to note is that it is very heavy. If you want to move it around a lot, then this can be a problem.
One thing to watch out for is that the fence and tables are square and flat. My first one had an infeed table that wasn't co-planar with the outfeed and had to go back.

Hi Mudman,

Thank you for your reply, which helps.
I will try to find a shop in West Wales were I can try the machine before taking it to Holland.
The weight is not really a problem, I intend to place it on castors like my thicknesser. The machine is meant to get segments for turning in shape and probably for picture frames.
The few times this jointer will be used I will have to lower myself to floor level.

Hans

Mike,

Yes, I have been searching the web.
In general Nutool seems not to get a favorable press.
According to this forum Sip seems to make some decent machinery.
The pictures of the Rexon J1560A (is this the Axminster WP150?) give the impression of a rather flimsy fence.
So I thought to narrow it down to the two Axminsters and the SIP.

I still hope choosing will be made easier when some more forum members share their experiences.

The problem is , that apart from a cheap HBM that I won't even look at, desktop jointers are not sold in The Netherlands.
While on holiday I have no opportunity to test the jointer.
I would hate to arrive home with a machine that does not work properly. Returning machines in the 30-45 kg class is hardly an option.

Hans

the fence on the Rexon was fine if you wanted to joint a square edge... for anything else it was a joke... keep an eye on bed alignment; infeed must be parallel with the outfeed or banana's happen...

I gave up on it after a while.. just too small for the size of stock I normally work with...

Back