Delway Floorboard Tongue Cutter help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought from eBay a Delway floorboard tongue cutter and floor board lifter. They were both about £5 so won't break the bank if they don't live up to my high expectations. I wonder if anyone has the instructions for the tongue cutter that they could let me have a look at?

I'm sure you pop it into the gap and with the heel boot it along, however, it would be nice to see the 'official' way you use it before I have a go in earnest.

Equally would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used one / uses one. If it works, it will be one of the best tools I've ever bought. If I had a pound for each occasion I've found pipes and electrics run over the top of joists and held down by the floor boards......makes setting the depth of the circular saw rather critical and this would be I hope safer, quicker, less noisy and cleaner.....but then again may be not!

deema":1etj26vu said:
I bought from eBay a Delway floorboard tongue cutter and floor board lifter. They were both about £5 so won't break the bank if they don't live up to my high expectations. I wonder if anyone has the instructions for the tongue cutter that they could let me have a look at?

I'm sure you pop it into the gap and with the heel boot it along, however, it would be nice to see the 'official' way you use it before I have a go in earnest.

Equally would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used one / uses one. If it works, it will be one of the best tools I've ever bought. If I had a pound for each occasion I've found pipes and electrics run over the top of joists and held down by the floor boards......makes setting the depth of the circular saw rather critical and this would be I hope safer, quicker, less noisy and cleaner.....but then again may be not!

I didn't know these existed. Followed your link but couldn't see the pic so looked up another which clearly needed a sharpen. Why not set the circular saw to the correct depth? The services usually run at the centre of a board, it's unusual for them to run where the joint is.

I use a recip saw for the tongue and for cutting across the boards. Works quicker than a circular and is just as accurate. Also the blades are not as expensive when you hit the inevitable nail.

]i havent tried a reciprocating saw, but will give it a go.

The Delway was £5, including postage and it's a good looking item I have to say. For that price worth a go I thought.

Ive found wires and central heating pipes laid in the most interesting ways.....

A recent case where the sparky preferred to house the cable in the floor board when a joist got in the way.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2,487
deema":2z6b5ahm said:

The Delway was £5, including postage and it's a good looking item I have to say. For that price worth a go I thought.

Ive found wires and central heating pipes laid in the most interesting ways.....

A recent case where the sparky preferred to house the cable in the floor board when a joist got in the way.

I doubt any electrician has done that.

deema":39uuahzd said:
Break a blade off short and lie the saw down then set it going and edge it down into the wood, you can control the depth easily this way.

The electrics were done by a certified electrician who was rewiring a new boiler....British Gas certified installation.

I was asked to lift and re-floor after the unfortunate installation had been 'discovered' a few months later.

Im hoping the tongue cutter works and will be fantastic hopefully for lifting polished old floor boards........the cutter is extremely thin, and the one I have acquired looks brand new.

Now just need some proper flooring to try it out on......never a proper floor about when you want one!

Thought I'd share the eBay photo of the cutter and board lifter

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,409
deema":9dp3sxwm said:
]Ive found wires and central heating pipes laid in the most interesting ways.....

That's why I hate doing fitted work, it's like dancing in a minefield!

Back