Delays with EB3 Mitre Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Was very pleased just before Xmas to have bagged the last available EB3 direct from David Osbourne in the States, as he wouldn't have another batch until mid-Jan.

However, it still hasn't arrived, despite bieng despatched by US Postal Service on 19th Dec :(

David is investigating with them over there but says it can take weeks and they have initially confirmed that it reached the UK, but nobody seems to know any more nor how to find it from there.

Has anybody else had similar issues with stuff shipped direct from the US and/or any ideas what to do next ?

Cheers, Paul. :(

Paul..bad luck. There is little that you can do unless you know how they were sending it (such as by post or courier etc) and have a tracking number. But even then the tracking numbers are not updated accurately. We bought some peonies from the States and they were sent by US post. Tracking details were woefully inadequate and bore no relation to reality.

I had to wait a month before xmas to get a tenoning jig and the tracking number does not work for international, it arrived but i wait waiting.

Think your self lucky though cos my Triton router still hasnt arrived....I wont be using them ever again.

By happy coincidence (or the power of the forum :shock: :lol: ) have just opened todays post to find a Parcel Farce letter asking for payment of £8 clearance fee and £13 vat to release the parcel.

So just paid online and hopefully will receive tomorrow for a play at the weekend :D

Shame about the extra costs, but given the good exchange rate will probably still have only cost just over £100 all in which is still cheaper than the Incra 1000se alternative that I was looking at for £130, and the Jessem which I think was closer to £150.

Better drop David a line and tell him it was the usual incompetence of the system at our end that has delayed delivery, and for which I have to pay extra for the privilige :evil:

Cheers, Paul. :D

tiler99":3hy52yvd said:
Think your self lucky though cos my Triton router still hasnt arrived....I wont be using them ever again.

Mine came on Tuesday.

To OP, hang on a couple of weeks before giving up hope.

Hi chisel,

nope I still have not recieved mine either. In fact I bought the second last one and you bought the last.

I am glad yours has arrived. So there is some hope left. It seems that the USPS had managed to "lose" the packages. :roll:

End result, maybe I get mine before w/end so I can "play" (SWMBOs expression) on the w/end. :D

Pity about the Tax though.

Cheers.

Well, just as soon as I posted, 10 mins later. Guess what; it arrived.
Victory.gif

Best part, not tax! I have keep my record clean so far!
Cunning-Plan.gif

Now to prepare for w/end!

Cheers.

:shock: :?

How do some of you do it as every time I have got bits from the us I have got done for the tax :roll:

I am glad some one is not :wink:

Victory.gif

Cunning-Plan.gif

Cheers.

BrianD":uzqvykch said:
Victory.gif

Cunning-Plan.gif

Cheers.

Ok we heard you the first time, lucky git... :lol: :wink:

Hey Brian that's not fair ! I obviously got charged your tax by mistake, least you can do is pay me half back ! :lol:

Spooky how everything started happening for both of us soon as we posted on the forum :shock:

Will have to compare notes, assuming my actual parcel turns up tomorrow of course [-o<

hope the pivot points are better machined than on my dewalt eb2 (copy?) although i think the design is outstanding but a little unwieldy. try and flex the fence mine moves about 1- 1.5 mm. i had to centre punch the metal around the pivot pins.

chisel - hope it arrived today

johnnyb - my one seems ok - tight fit so far - I hope it remains that way! Although Philly gave it good points!

Must be your EB2 copy. Hope punching of hinge points holds out.

Cheers.

Guys
I use my EB3 nearly every day. It replaces a sliding table in my workshop, so yes, I rate it! What do you guys think??
A quick tip for setting up - the grub screws that tighten the bar get ruined by the laser cut slots. So put one grub screw in and screw in 'til tight. Then remove and replace with a new one. Do this for all the holes-the laser seems to leave a burr that ruined the first set of grub screws I inserted. Hope this helps.
Johny-what does your DeWalt EB2 copy look like??

Cheers
Philly :D

Just a piece of info.

fwiw, from this far side of the US, it takes 3-4 business days to reach England. Pretty quick, really. I have had saws which arrived in as little as 5 days from my house to the recipient. Others have taken a solid month.

As regards tracking, your vendor can go to their local post office and have them track any priority package, even though this information will not appear on the PO web site until actually delivered--and then it's iffy when off to another country as it requires follow through from the other end. It is a hassle to get the post office to do this, though, and requires waiting in lines until a clerk can look it up, and not every clerk has the authorization to do so.

The net results of when I have done this is that after a few days, the package shows as being in customs, etc., and their is nothing we can do as the shipper to expedite it moving through the system.

As for the Osborne--I think it is the best miter gauge on the market for the money. When I actually use my tablesaw, it is always used for any angles--still use a shop made sled for most 90 degree cuts though.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

Got home a little while ago to find an EB3 shaped package in the hall, haven't had time to open it yet but looking forwards to playing with it tomorrow !

Thanks for the tip on the grub screws Philly, well worth knowing about.

Will post thoughts as soon as I have had some quality time alone with it !

it looks very similar(identical) to the eb2 but in slightly different colours. the allen bolts are very nicely cylindrically ground in the bearing areas but the holes are very sloppy. reading around their are many complaints about this problem with this gauge. i have now made a crosscut sled that is supremely accurate. the dewalt eb2 doesnt run in the mitre slot it clamps into a mitre slot in the sliding table so the long bar is a disadvantage as at maximum crooscut (fence at very back of table) the bar sticks out of the back. although the dewalt does also have two mitre slots as well. i think they are licensed from osborne to dewalt. it works now after the center pop treatment i did use some graphite as lube before this. i also feel on the eb2 the fence is very short.

Unfortunately the weekend was kind of hijacked for various reasons (including SWMBO :lol: ) so didn't manage to give the EB3 a proper workout :(

Did get a bit of time to unbox it though and got it assembled and did a few initial test cuts.

First impressions are that it's a quality bit of kit and well made. Initial test cuts appear pretty much spot on straight from the box, though I need to spend a bit of quality time with it to be sure.

The detent settings do have a very, very slight amount of play when you are pressing the plunger, but as you tighten up the lock screw it seems to settle in exactly the right position each time so no need for any centre popping on this later EB3 model as far as I can tell at present.

Such a revelation to be able to use a gauge that doesn't slop from side to side like the original the sip came with. Did have to use some 120grit on a sanding stick though to ease the front and back of the mitre slot where there was a bit of binding. This meant that I could tighten up the adjustment on the slide bar a bit more and have a nice snug fit along the full length of travel in the mitre slot.

So first impressions looking very good. Looking forward to next weekend and testing it out properly.......

Well chisel,

I fortubnately had the opportunity this w/end and it work out great.

I agree that the pin when depressed seems sloppy (although marginally in my case) but when tightened - spot on. No flex or movement!

What a difference against my old clapped out mitre guage. I am so far impressed.

All the cuts were spot on, -45 - 0 -45. :D

Cheers.

Back