Degaussing TV screen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
I came home from work today to find that my 3 year old grandson had been playing with a magnet in front of the tv and the picture had several green and purple patches on it. The tv is old...12 years+...but it works fine and I can do without having to replace it this month. Anyway, I followed my usual mantra 'Google is your friend', and came up with this solution. I was skeptical, despite the many testimonials on the web page but in the end I decided I had nothing to lose. I had a couple of rare earth magnets in the garage, salvaged from an old hard drive, and I attached them to the business end of a 12 mm flat bit and chucked it in my cordless drill. These are powerful magnets and their magnetic force is all that is needed to hold them in place. I turned on the drill and pointed it at the screen (close but not touching, obviously) where the discoloured areas were. The colours flickered and swirled and as I pulled the still spinning drill back from the screen, like magic, the colours had returned to normal. I now know that TVs have built in degaussing coils and it might have sorted itself in time but I was impressed by this simple fix and I thought it might be worth passing on.

Brilliant use of technology.

Degaussing? Wasn't this stuff invented for protecting ships from magnetic mines?

much better to use it for outwitting three year olds.

Mind you I would keep an eye on this one. the next John Logie Baird???
Definitely a mad scientist in the making, mark my words in thirty years you will look back on this one and think 'Aye' we always knew he was like that'.

Fantastic stuff, chunko'.

Just dont let him near a welder...............

chunkolini":21x460kc said:
Brilliant use of technology.

Degaussing? Wasn't this stuff invented for protecting ships from magnetic mines?

much better to use it for outwitting three year olds.

Mind you I would keep an eye on this one. the next John Logie Baird???
Definitely a mad scientist in the making, mark my words in thirty years you will look back on this one and think 'Aye' we always knew he was like that'.

Fantastic stuff, chunko'.

Just dont let him near a welder...............

Maybe he takes after me, I'm a scientist.

Hi,

All CRT TVs have a degausing circuit built in thats the hum/buzz that you hear when you switch on. it only operates when cold so you need to switch off and let the TV cool down for it to operate and after a couple of goes it should be o/k. Whas is happening is the beam from the tube passes through a fine mesh called a slot mask and hits the corrrect coloured pixel on the screen this mask can be warped by the magnetic field causing the beam falls on the wrong pixel.

Pete

If you don't have any magnets handy an unshielded transformer will work to fix your TV. Shielded will do it, but probably needs a few passes. Simply put the transformer in front of the screen, switch it on and pull it away vertically from the screen.

It's simply the jumbling up of the magnetic fields that does the job, whether it's spinning magnets or a transformer plugged into the mains at 50 cycles.

Grief....this post has taken me back 40 years...gulp....to my first job as a BBC Outside Broadcast engineer. Daily job for a young newbie...degaussing the monitors.

Only I didn't let it stop there...no sirree. Colour TV was very new. Checked into a hotel and surprised to find colour TV in the room. Badly in need of alignment and a degauss. No time. Off t'pub, dinner and back t'pub.

Wobbled/staggered/lurched my drunken way back to hotel room...get undressed ready for bed...room swimming...switch on TV..decide it definitely needs adjusting..so out with toolkit...off with the back of the set...hand groping around the back while looking at the screen...adjusting the static alignment...knuckles within a whisker of 40kV..and a little voice of sanity made its' voice heard through the drunken stupor...IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

Next morning I could just see the headlines in the Sun..."Naked BBC engineer in drunken sex fetish colour TV death"........

We do not have a loose magnet or magnifying glass in the house, and grandchildren are watched like nothing on earth with whatever they have in their sights. :wink:

Oh ah Roger, that EHT. That brings back some shocking memories!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back