Deft T30 Table Saw Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKBray

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first attempt at wirting a review, so apologies in advance for any mistakes.

A little background first.
Approx 18 months ago, we vacated our home office, and moved into new office space on the local Industrial estate, leaving a lovely 14ft x 28ft fully insulated, well lite and wired out shed, available for use as my workshop.

After cleraing out all of the office furniture, I am embarrassed to say I went a little spend crazy, and made a lot of expensive mistakes.

One of them being the table saw. At the time I bought a low end Fox saw from Rutlands, and regretted it almost from the moment I opened the package.

The table bed was 15" x 21", the riving knife was always out of line, and the fence was a joke, in short a hobbist saw, but the money had been spent, so it was put up and shut up until I could afford to replace it.

That time is now, what a joy, I have spent some where around 2 months looking at as many reviews as I could find, reading about nearly every saw bench Axminster / Rutlands / loads of others I can't remeber, until I'm blue in the face, but none of them ticked all the boxes, until I found the Deft T30 from Lyndhurst.

My criteria by this time due to finding the INCRA system, so the list was.
1. Must be able to fit the INCRA system to it.
2. Single Pedastool base, so it can be mounted on a mobile base.
3. single phase 240v supply, no more than 16amp.
4. No sliding table, the workshop is not big enough.

Fairly simple list of requirements I think you'll agree, the T30 met them all, along with a 5 yr gaurantee.

After a few sleepless nights worrying about making the same mistake again, I finally plucked up the courage and placed the order, 4 days later, a MASSIVE pallet arrived on the back of a mid sized lorry.

1hr, 3 men, and a lot of effort, got the pallet dis-assembled, and moved around the house, up the steps, and into the workshop.

I am sorry to say that I didn't think to take any pics of that bit, or until I hit my first problem, but at least I did remember to get some.

The packaging was superb, in fact it took about 30 - 40 mins to get all of the packaging removed. Apart from the usuall polystyrene / carboard, there was also a lot of screwed ply to hold it in place on the pallet, as well as a cast iron brackect holding the motor assembly in place.

After getting the saw onto my Axminster trolly base, I read through the instruction manual, which was resonable, checked the parts list, fresh cup of tea, and I began.

At this point I should say that my Father is a keen woodworking spectator and a major tool enthusiast (ex fitter and turner, tool making department none the less) and was with me from the start.

Our first impressions of the table saw were of pure delight, the saw exudes a quality and sturdy build, and was just begging to be used.

The first job was to fit the two cast iron extension tables, and as mentioned before, this is when I remebered to start taking pictures, so here goes.

OK, dead stop, I have no clue how to upload a picture to this post, can someone help.
:(

Cont...

dsc_3093.jpg

T30 moutned on Axminster mobile base, with sidw tables attached.

The next job was to attach the hand wheel for the bevel cut adjustment. Simple job, align the woodruff key, and slide the handle on, you'd think.

This was the only problem I found, the key was supplied approx 1.5mm to large, now I don't know about everybody else, but I don't keep metal milling machines handy in the shop, so it was out will a good old file, that my father had kept from his days in the foundry. (its at this point I really regret not having bought a vice yet, I have kept putting it off for months, so a pair of pliers was the only option)

2hrs later, and bleeding fingers, the key slides into place, handle attached, grub scree tightened, thank God.

dsc_3094.jpg
[/img]
Close up of the pesky little key

dsc_3099.jpg
[/img]
At last !!

Next on the list was check the Arbor alignment (perfect), then the splitter mount (riving knife), again perfect, then mount the blade and riving knife.

dsc_3101.jpg
[/img]

Followed by the blade hood.

dsc_3109.jpg
[/img]

Now onto the Fence assembly.
dsc_3092.jpg
[/img]

To say this was heavey was an understatement, I had to leave one end on the floor, and lean it over until one of the screw holes lined up with the table, attaching the fence rail was very straight forward, four bolts, a little leveling up with the table bed, and job done.

dsc_3112.jpg
[/img]

The back rail was a lot lighter, but the same mounting system, four bolts. The back rail sits quite a lot lower, than the table bed, to allow for any mitre track to slide through, while the front rail has cut outs in the top bar.

Aliging the Fence to the Mitre track was a very simple process, apart from having to remove the fence each time to make an adjustment.

dsc_3118.jpg
[/img]

The photo doesn't show it (sorry) the fence adjustment is on the opposite side, the grub screws facing the camera, allow you to tighten / loosen the fence assemly to the fence rail.

And finally the finshed article.

dsc_3115.jpg
[/img]

Summary

Good packaging, no damage in transit.

Reasonable instructions (far better than Fox)

Small problem with the woodruff key, but we overcame it, without having to ring help lines.

Fence assembly sits firm, and true.

Supplied mitre slide is a little loose, and a bit clumsy.

Over all satisfaction levels 10000000 / 10

I am absolutely delighted with the latest addition to the shop, it cuts true, looks the part, and doesn't take up too much space.

I will be adding an INCRA TS system to it next week, to complete the purchase, hopefully I will remember to get the camera out at the beginning.

Hopefully this (my first ever attempt at writing a reveiw) has not broken any rules, all pointers greatfully received.

Thanks

we need pictures! No one will believe it without any pictures. Besides I can't read. :lol: Ooh! they just appeared! :shock: thanks, Good review. :wink:

Thanks for the review, it looks like a top-quality saw - don't go leaving too many coffee cup marks on it now!! :D

If you've had even a minor problem with it then, I think it's best to contact Lyndhurst and let them know - otherwise, they may never know and it'll only keep happening to countless other people. :roll:

Would it not be better to have the wheels of your mobile base either behind or to the side of the saw? I'm only concerned you may end up tripping over them and heading head-first in to the spinning blade! :shock: :? :wink:

What do you make of the crown guard? I like how they've positioned the extraction port nearer the front of the blade but, why do they put these 'handles' on the front of the guards now? Surely, that only encourages people to lift them up... Is it an American thing? :?

I am not impresed with the Crown guard only because when measureing to the blade for a cut, there doesn't seem to be a way to hold the guard up, so it ends up dropping on the tape measure all the time.

Thanks for the reminder to tell Lyndhurst, I will make a point of telling them.

Graham

I guess you could fix your measuring problem by sticking a strip of self-adhesive rule to the fence mounting. They are available to buy here, if you're interested. :)

Good review and photos.

I did not have any problems with the woodruff so perhaps a bit of poor quality control on your one? From I can remember the hardest part was unpacking it and releasing it from it's pallet?

The fence can be set very accurately on the scale so I only use a tape very occasionally to check if it is still OK. The problem is that you have to set it again if you change the fence from thinnish panels set-up to the thicker pieces setting. (The shiny Alu. bit) Or like me make a mental adjustment to allow for it - I have it written on a sticker!.
You can also mark, with a permanent marker, the actual blade cutting thickness near the table edge.

Olly - mine came with a scale tape.

Rod

GKB,

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it and found it useful. Can you give us an update when you've had chance to use it for a week or so. It looks very very good value for the money.

John McM":3cxoj4yb said:
GKB,

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it and found it useful. Can you give us an update when you've had chance to use it for a week or so. It looks very very good value for the money.

Hi John,
It may be a while before I can make much of a comment on the Table saw itself, as another new addition has just arrived.

How ever, the few times I have used the saw so far, it was been a remarkably smooth operation. The crown cover lights effortlessly, the blade cuts clean and true, it all seems a bit to good to be true at the moment, a very similar experience to the Festool Circular saw (purchased last month, should I try and review this ??)

I have nothing to say about the Deft T30, apart from good reports all round, however it is just a table saw, its not as if we are discussing a Radial Arm Saw, is it ??

(Waits for reaction !!!)

Graham

woodbloke":2w6tvo0u said:
wizer":2w6tvo0u said:
Tom - no comprendo :? ...you had the Jet SS a while back and got rid! - Rob

Now the dust has settled I can honestly say I'm glad I got rid of the Jet. I could never get on with the sliding table. I explained the main reason and that was to buy my lathe. So far I am a very happy turner. That does not mean I don't miss having a TS of some sort and if I bought again it'd be the DEFT or the SIP, I think.

wizer":3e54gurx said:
That does not mean I don't miss having a TS of some sort and if I bought again it'd be the DEFT or the SIP, I think.

You sure about that, Tom?! :D

A little while ago, it was the Axminster TS200!! You've probably already seen the other thread started on the Jet TS600...! :wink: :D :)

damn I should have been clearer. If money and space was no object then it'd be the DEFT. I've seen the JET JPT600 in the flesh both at Axminster and Ally Pally and was not impressed, as much as a Jet fanboy as I am.

wizer":2w4eobkf said:
If money and space was no object

The Deft represents fantabulous value for money I reckon, at a tad under £800 it's got to be the best value table saw in the UK at the moment. My K419 is only a bit cheaper than that (coupla hundred...less than a LN plane :)) and as far as I can tell it takes up about the same space as the K419 but is deeper front to back. I was initially taken by the Jet600 saw but I was having a natter with someone a while back who'd examined one and again wasn't impressed.... - Rob

I bought the same and I'd report the same great impressions, and also the same issue with the steel key during the mounting of the second hand-wheel. I had to spend some time filing it down but eventually it did fit.

I haven't had much time to experiment with it since I've been setting up the whole shop starting from zero but the other issue I've had is that the guard doesn't sit straight even though the splitter is in-line with the blade (although I find the splitter a bit too far). I am wondering if I got a twisted splitter (at the top), but haven't had a chance to check yet.

I have to comment on the level of service. Not only that saw offered me an option as I prefer a cabinet saw and I was at a loss as to what saw to buy (and there's even much less choice here in France), but on top of that the cost for shipping a table saw and bandsaw (and a dust collector) from Lyndhurst was considerably less than from other sellers, simply because Richard and a colleague/friend put the machines into a small van and drove them here to Brittany themselves via the ferry. They were here early morning and it took about 15 minutes to get the machines into the narrow old street, out of the truck and into my workshop through the narrow entrance.

Very happy with them.

EDIT: Actually, the splitter distance is just me not putting it in right. That said, I have spent time aligning the splitter bracket with the blade flange and I still can't get the splitter itself in line. Will have to spend more time on that.

LeChuck":3crbmuro said:
I bought the same and I'd report the same great impressions, and also the same issue with the steel key during the mounting of the second hand-wheel. I had to spend some time filing it down but eventually it did fit.

I haven't had much time to experiment with it since I've been setting up the whole shop starting from zero but the other issue I've had is that the guard doesn't sit straight even though the splitter is in-line with the blade (although I find the splitter a bit too far). I am wondering if I got a twisted splitter (at the top), but haven't had a chance to check yet.

I have to comment on the level of service. Not only that saw offered me an option as I prefer a cabinet saw and I was at a loss as to what saw to buy (and there's even much less choice here in France), but on top of that the cost for shipping a table saw and bandsaw (and a dust collector) from Lyndhurst was considerably less than from other sellers, simply because Richard and a colleague/friend put the machines into a small van and drove them here to Brittany themselves via the ferry. They were here early morning and it took about 15 minutes to get the machines into the narrow old street, out of the truck and into my workshop through the narrow entrance.

Very happy with them.

EDIT: Actually, the splitter distance is just me not putting it in right. That said, I have spent time aligning the splitter bracket with the blade flange and I still can't get the splitter itself in line. Will have to spend more time on that.

Hi LeChuck,
I think you may have a fault on the splitter, I've checked mine at least a half dozen times now, and its bang on, no adjustment required.

Graham

Latest posts

Back