Deep Blue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Having had a nicely successful day at the St David's really wild food festival I was encouraged to continue with my coloured work, this is the latest effort, the Deep Blue Bowl.

The images give a fair Idea of the colour, but it looks best in the hand in bright sunlight, then the colours really flash and shift with the medullary rays.

9026682951_5f2dd15378_o.jpg

9028913246_ae7edb20dc_o.jpg

9028913726_cd2ab3578f_o.jpg

9026685113_a32fea3670_o.jpg

Can't make my mind up on this one. It is really lovely but as a rustic purist I'm not sure about colouring the bowl in the first place. Have to admit it works and looks great though.

Pete

Wow, that's really unusual and quite striking in how it looks. To me it works really well with the knots and grain. I would love to see a pre-coloured photo of the work, if you have one and were willing to share?

Thanks for the comments, I know what you mean Pete, the next piece is similarly marked and I know I am going to use colour again, but it looks good as wood too, I will try to remember to image it pre-colour, I didn't do that for this one otherwise I would be happy to put a shot up for you Brian.

The bowl is in Sycamore by the way!

Have similar thoughts to Pete on the colouring of the piece.

But that's of no relevance to comments about the skill of the colour blending and finish which look superb. Initial reaction was that it would fool many into thinking it was iridescent glass.

Colouring of pieces for me might be like my early aversion to segmenting, if I could actually achieve a reasonable looking effort I might grow to accept it.

You got that right Chas, I showed it to a young lady the other day and she asked prior to handling it what it was made of, I said "Wood"
She gave me a "Yeah, right" look but expressed real surprise at it's weight, "I thought it was glass!!"

I Love it The Colours seem to Hit the Spot Its rustic and Also modern In The coloration I would Put it on display In My House =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Very dramatic looking, although I don't normally like colouring on a piece I do on this one which looks great.

Cheers, Paul

Random Orbital Bob":zfr15doc said:
It has a precious stone quality about it....quartz or blue john...lovely

Great, that's what I was aiming to achieve, the rim has been coloured to look like the uncut rock.

Thanks for all the nice comments folks!

JohnMessUK":1dj8rbsn said:
Stunning piece of work can you share with us the process you used to colour the wood please

Thanks John, I used Chestnut spirit stains to colour the bowl, trying to describe the process though requires more skill than I possess, I recommend you watch this video on the subject by Andy Coates though, it has many useful pointers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxoEAMXtPE

KimG":3c9i51vz said:
JohnMessUK":3c9i51vz said:
Stunning piece of work can you share with us the process you used to colour the wood please

Thanks John, I used Chestnut spirit stains to colour the bowl, trying to describe the process though requires more skill than I possess, I recommend you watch this video on the subject by Andy Coates though, it has many useful pointers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxoEAMXtPE

Cheers buddy

Back