Deep Blue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting your bowl - I think the colour choices are stunning, and really give the bowl an irridescent look reminiscent of oil films on water or certain semi-precious gems (very dark opals, petersite, tigers-eye).
I may have missed it in your original post, but what wood did you use?
One colouring technique, that I know is used a lot by electric guitar builders, is to do an initial coat of black stain which is then sanded back. The idea (I think) being that the rippley nature of the wood holds the stain at varying 'depths' within the wood, so is not sanded uniformly. This has the end result of 'deeping' the woods figure when the end colour stain is applied.

Cheers,
Adam

It's Sycamore Adam, thanks for the comment too! MTG, check the link for Andy Coates video, I work along similar lines. (It doesn't always work out so well believe me!)

Beautiful iridescent peacock colours only serve to enhance the fabulous grain not detract from it.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Personally, I also go with the thought that it's gorgeous!

I've always been of the mind that I didn't like changing the look of wood too far from it's "natural beauty" and seek to bring that out where I can, but you've certainly given me something to think about there. The way that the deep colours and the bright gloss finish enhance the woods innate "chatoyance" is quite stunning. Like your other observer said, it looks like quality glassware.

Fantastic, and the share is much appreciated. Thanks for the expansion to my horizons :)

Nic.

Many turners don't like the thought of colouring wood. However, some pieces cry out for colour and some turners have the skills to carry it out. Some pieces do look best "in the raw" and it's up to the individual to decide.
If our work is intended to appeal to a wider public, not just to fellow turners it is essential to turn out work with a broad appeal.
Carry on colouring.

Back