Decorative bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece started out as a bland Basswood(lime) bowl blank that was given to me. Its about 8" wide and 3" tall. Its been turned, then the texture painstakingly pyro'd on one dent at a time with a spoon tip, dyed dark purple inside and out, gilt cream applied and washed back with oil to give the old metallic hamered look and the inside gold leafed, with holes created in the leaf with a brass brush in the dremel and then gilt cream applied over the holes to try and give a very old worn appearance. Theres a fair bit of work in this for a bowl!

bowls002a.jpg

bowls005.jpg

bowls006.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed.

There is more info about the thoughts behind the design in my blog if anyones interested :)

That's a great piece johnny, you've certainly achieved the appearance of a gilded bronze treasure that has been cosseted over the centuries.

I would be reluctant to handle it, as the weight might break the illusion that my eyes alone can accept but contact might destroy.

Wow really nice piece Johnny,

and thanks for the detailed explanation on how you managed to achive the efect.

spasm

the shape, finish and detailing of the outside looks simply stunning and clearly gives a return on the effort put in. Your approach to the inside is fascinating and works well here.

Latest posts

Back