Deconstructed bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Streeting

Established Member
Reaction score
10"dia approx. Beech. Turned, carved and textured. Finished with patination wax.

deconstructbowl9.jpg

deconstructbowl2.jpg

deconstructbowl1-1.jpg

deconstructbowl6.jpg

tis indeed most unique and wonderful. Art AND crafts methinks =D>
and nice to see (after reading blog) that with the pro's as well as us hammerchewers, that the finished item is not necessarily what was pictured in the mind before starting the project. :)

Hi Philip

An amazing piece. Congratulations on the cover of WOW. Much deserved.

Hi Philip,
I keep coming back to this piece in its various views here and elsewhere when I drop by and quite honestly others have been far more constructive and eloquent than I could hope to be about the execution but it is the persistence to complete the finish detail that stands out for me.

Usual top quality and innovative design Philip. I keep trying to see which part went where on the original LOL. Looks like two bowls used but it is definitely art as wel as exceptional craftsmanship

Pete

very nice work =D>
Pleasing to the eye
was there an intention to deconstruct it texturally?

Thanks to everyone for the appreciative comments.

The one question that has arisen is a difficult one to answer "was there an intention to deconstruct it texturally"? The 'Deconstruction' reference in the title is twofold and difficult to explain in a few words and looking up the meanings may or may not be helpful. Perhaps an easy explanation might be is that with this piece I am trying to challenge the way a thing might be expected to look or be if I use the word 'bowl' as a woodturner describing my work.

Interesting

I saw it texturally (a bit simplistic perhaps) in a similar vein to how I see abstract cubism
Its a thought provoking piece

ta

Hi Philip,

What I think you are referring to is Abstract Expressionism mixed with Psycholinguistics.

You are also correct in the sense that neither of these 'subjects' or 'schools of thought' are easy to understand, or that indeed when understood they accurately convey your own sentiments regarding your work.

I guess you are trying to challenge peoples pre-conceptions of what a bowl is, while also questioning the construct we/us may refer to as 'bowl'!

A Buddhist view would simply state 'It is not the destination that counts but the journey, but no journey is complete until it reaches it's destination'

I would say 'Every journey is always with your self, who you choose to take with you is entirely your choice?'

A wonderful piece, filled with so much personality and character, a joy to watch unfold on your blog, and to witness the final piece has been a real pleasure.

Please don't burn this one, it's a cracker!

Aw the best,

Lee.

Philip Streeting":28qq1mk6 said:
10"dia approx. Beech. Turned, carved and textured. Finished with patination wax.

deconstructbowl9.jpg

deconstructbowl2.jpg

deconstructbowl1-1.jpg

deconstructbowl6.jpg

Phillip,

It looks fantastic and original to me. For the life of me, I can't see how it was done. :?
I look at a barley-sugar leg, and it doesn't take much working out. But this?
Wow! And that finish...
=D>

I am drooling over this.
It's head down, thumb in mouth and think time.... :mrgreen:

John

Latest posts

Back