Decking recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, not strictly wood, but I want to install a composite deck .... so not wood at all :D

I've got a quote from my local yard for a product called Millboard composite posts & joists, and Silvadec deck boards. Anyway, it's a lot of money but is apparently very good stuff.

However, is there a cheaper but good quality option that anyone knows of or has used?

I don't want to use timber because the decking is going over very wet ground.

Decking is difficult - all the wood options rot in the end unless you use something like Greenheart (used for sea defences) which can yield really nasty splinters that quickly turn septic if not fully removed. On the other hand, the plastics alternatives are very expensive and will also degrade over time into micro particles which enter the environmental food chain with who knows what long term consequences. I have gone for commercial hardwood decking on green oak joists raised on galvanised steel brackets, but I knw ir will still rot in time in a UK climate.

Jim

Thanks Jim

I hadn't joined up the dots with the plastic eco point. Something to think about.

Returning to the eco point.
I understand these decking composites are made from plastics that would are no good for other recycle so would be incinerated or land filled.

Hmm . I have quite wet clay in one of my areas as well.

I scraped it with a digger and put in about 100mm type 1 stone, then a heavy duty membrane, then 2" thick green oak which I cut from green railway sleepers. These are laid on a concrete frame with about 2" of air gap to the membrane. I expect these to last the rest of my life.

The composites always stand out as looking plastic to me, and the appearance degrades fast.

Normal commercial wooden decking is not much better.

I've used composite on a house in the alps. It's colour guaranteed for 15 years and totally rot proof.
I can't remember what make it was, but its been up for 3 years now, through 40c summers and -15c winters and still looks perfect.
Other plus points to consider:
It doesn't need oiling every couple of years or much maintenance at all. No refinishing.
It's straight and consistently sized, no warping or splits. Makes for less wastage when fitting and an easier job all round.

I used heat treated wood from here.

They claim that it does not need maintenance such as oiling or painting to prevent rot, but if you do decide to oil or paint it for appearance sake you need to maintain that finish in the same way that you would for "normal" wood. Being lazy I decided not to apply any finish. Initially the wood is a rich brown colour but without any finish it changes to a lacklustre grey. I don't mind it but some people would no doubt dislike it.

The other issue is that the heat treatment process makes the wood much lighter (it seems to be very open-pored) and reduces its strength. I don't think the strength is a problem with typical joist spacing on a deck. We didn't change our joist spacing because of that and have had no sagging or anything.

Our deck is about 10 years old. Other than the discoloration it has not shown any signs of aging and I expect it to last long term.

I can recommend silvadec composite decking.
Composite's main advantage over wood is a 'maintenance free' life. No yearly sanding and oiling etc.
Silvadec is a very good brand of composite and well known across Europe. I believe it comes with a 25 year guarantee. It has a higher proportion of wood in its mix which gives it a more natural feel compared to other plastic feeling composites.
All the best
Tom (homer)

Back