Decking Oil as a stain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some old decking oil that would give me the colour that I want (for an indoor piece of wood turning) . But would I be able to apply something like danish oil on top of it. And if not how would it buff up with a wax finnish - would it stink for ever (it takes a while to loose its smell outside)

Personally I’ve no idea but try it on an off cut of the type of timber you’re planning to use and see what results you get . At least then you have potentially not ruined your project.

Personally I’ve no idea but try it on an off cut of the type of timber you’re planning to use and see what results you get . At least then you have potentially not ruined your project.
indeedy - i'm just being lazy and seeing if anyone has experimented in the past. Can't think why it wouldn't work,

will reveal what happened in a week or two

B9FF0C59-2024-452B-B664-F13161AFA3BE.jpeg
I used it on the wife’s l “she shed” walls, used screw fix own decking oil on the floor and had loads left over.

Some decking oil contains stuff to stop rot, boring insects and so on. It might not be the best choice for something that might be handled a lot or used for food contact like a fruit bowl or something to serve your nuts in. Check the label perhaps?

Back