Decent hex bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - You know the little hex driver bits you find for not much in any hardware/tool shop?
I've found they're generally not that strong and, on small posi screws especially, the useful end tends to get circularised.
Can anyone recommend any really good, almost indestructible ones?
Thank-you,

GrahamRounce":1rnq054o said:
... any really good, almost indestructible ones?
A different way of coming at the problem is to consider them disposable. Common sizes can be bought in boxes of 100 or 200 for really not very much, partly because they're so easy to burr over if you're power-driving a lot of screws.

Most important is for the driver bit to be a good match in the screw.

Sadly, being able to do that is a skill which I don't have much luck at. :cry:

The hex bit drivers that you find for not mutch, are usually not worth mutch. The named sets in a small box usually with a bit holder are of better quality but it will depend on who's useing them.

One of the problems is that not all pozi drives are pozi drives they could be philips, on first glance they both look the same but if you look closer the pozi drive has what looks like a ST Andrews cross scratched on the screw head over the bit cross.

But you still need patience hope this helps some one.

Thanks, yes, I've learned to tell posi's from philips by the extra little grooves. I don't know if they actually do anything. The angle of the "cone" going down into the screw head is different too, but you can't tell that by eye, of course. Apparently the philips ones were deliberately designed to jump out at a certain torque (!).

I can't usually pick the right sized bit either, straight off. I have to try a few and wiggle one of the screws in each, but you know it when you've got the right one, with a good tight fit.
I'll try some of Wiha's and Wera's, and failing that, get a few boxes of standard ones - it seems a but wasteful though.
Cheers,

One side will be marked on decent bits pz or ph 1, 2, or 3. Don't use ph's in pz's and vice versa, or 1's in 2's or 2's in 3's. Use your clutch and low speed.
I've found the boxes of DeWalt ones OK, and I don't think the diamond ones are justified in normal use. Pozidrive 3 1/2 to five take a pz2 - that's most of most people's work unless you're plasterboarding.

GrahamRounce":33ujexz1 said:
Apparently the philips ones were deliberately designed to jump out at a certain torque (!).
I've read that too but apparently it's a myth. Phillips isn't intended to cam out, it's just that the design is too prone to it. Pozi was developed to counter this tendency, although I think most will agree it's not much better :|

We use Wera at work - very good esp the stainless ones although not cheap. The interior fit out guys have long since gone over to torx wood screws where not visible.

+1 for wera, i've been using the same 152mm pozi bit for 6 months on site and i can barely see a difference to when i bought it!

joe

I've tried loads of different ones and I've settled with Wera and with the Wera bit driver (if that's what it's called) it's not magnetic and you have to pull the sleeve to release the bits which means no more lifting the drill and leaving the bit stuck in the screw. £15 or so very well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back