Decanting finishing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
My finish of choice for turned items is Chestnut finishing oil. I prefer to decent a small amount into a glass jar and apply from there but I usually can't judge how much I need so there is often some left in the jar. If I put the lid back on the jar and store what's left the oil sets within a couple of days and has to be thrown away.

Is there anyway to extend it's life in the jar or should I pour the contents back into the original metal container?

Duncan

Duncan, as long as it is not contaminated with bits or discoloured I would pour it back in the tin, If your usage also means that the tin stands for any significant time on the shelf remember to shake it vigorously, it may also pay to fill the void in the tin as you use the contents with marbles or ball bearings to reduce the air pocket .

duncanh":1ebehcji said:
My finish of choice for turned items is Chestnut finishing oil.

Thank you!

Chas's advice is very good, if you're worried about contamination you could strain the decanted oil before returning it to the tin, and the tip about using something (even small, clean stones) to fill the air gap in the can is a great idea.

Thanks

Just wondering - why does the decanted oil start to solidify? Is it that the jar isn't completely air-tight or that it's clear?

Duncan

It will do this in the can as well, it just takes longer. It is caused by exposure to air, even in an air tight can the oil will react with the air already in the can and 'set', hence the suggestion to use marbles/stones etc to fill the air gap; the less air, the slower the reaction.
As far as I know, all oils of this type suffer from this.

hi duncanh,

i have found that if you store the can upside down then any oil that forms a skin then is at the bottom of the can he next time you use it.

woodbutcher

Back