Dealing with expantion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrick

Reaction score
Hi, new member but learked on here before.
I've been researching into difftent methods of dealing with expansion and contraction in wood and have come across various techniques used for table tops and cabinet doors via design and leaving gap / slotted fastening but I've a few other situations I've questions about when buttign up to glass. I have no particualr project in mind with glass but I just wan't to understand some construction techniques.

Window frames. How much expansion gap should be left around a a window pane? Do you just reily on the the putty slidding over the glass? Simarly oak framed conservaries. The oak frames are green when constructed to will contract and pull into grass, so the glass must be rebated and again some sort of seal to slide over the glass. If there a rule of thumb for diffrent woods in how much expansion differnet varities of wood expand / contract? Plane and quarter sawn.

Situations like parquet flooring where lots of diffrent bits of wood all with their green running at diffrent angles to each and resulting diffrent rates of expansion not ending up with gaps all over the floor?

Please excuuse the spelling my spell checker on this computer seems to have stoped working and I can't turn it back on!

Latest posts

Back