Dating Acorn 4-1/2 plane - when did the colour change?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldpate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anybody has any information about when the livery of Acorn planes was changed to burgundy from the original black. From the entry in the Planemakers Database (http://www.planemakers-database.com/page/4/), I'm aware that Acorn was a brand name used by J A Chapman for a line of metal bodied planes from 1934, and that the company was taken over by Stanley in 1936, who continued to use the name. Presumably the livery change occurred under the Stanley regime.

I'm trying to put a rough date on an Acorn 4-1/2 plane I bought cheap on ebay some while ago. I'm aware this is hardly a high-quality plane, but it's not too bad at all, and I'm wondering if it's an early-ish example, perhaps before the general decline.

The paint finish (what's left of it) is black, and the cutting iron has imprinted the word ACORN in an oval cartouche, and underneath "MADE IN SHEFFIELD VANADIUM STEEL" - nothing on the cap iron. Front knob secured with a 1/4" BSW bolt with slotted c/sunk head Weighs just over 2Kg (4 1/2 lbs in old money).

I suspect Stanley stopped making the Acorn-branded 4-1/2 before it stopped making the 4 & 5 models, which may account for why the occasional Acorn 4.5's you see offered for sale are finished in black (although at least one member of this forum reports having one in burgundy - see acorn-planes-help-please-t32330.html).

Any information on dating would be welcome. Thanks

Chris

Back