Database software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help me with this search I've been doing.

Like most I have a hard drive full of digital photo's, and have spent a couple of hours searching for a photo cataloguing software program.

I've been looking for a card type database which actually stores the photos, with text descriptions so as I can delete them from the hard drive, and also which can run on its own on a CD.

Most of the ones I have found either run via the web, or only catalogue the photos and and their directories, and you must leave the photo's on the computer.

Just hoping someone may have the answer out there, and many thanks for your help.

A very quick search found this:

http://cd-catalog-website-builder.insta ... chive.org/

I know nothing of it tho.

If we have a clever member who knows how to work their way around MS Access, I'm sure it's relatively simple. If I wasn't so busy atm I'd have a look myself.

It's one of those things I never realised I needed. I keep all my images on my server which has a backup solution. I guess I should be also backing them up to DVD. Remember that DVD's and CD's gradually degrade and it would be a good idea to re-burn the discs every 5-10yrs.

Generally I do not think that storing images in an Access database is the best way to go. If you want to use Access it is probably better to store the path to the files and display them using an image control.

You may find something here http://wareseeker.com/free-catalog-photos/

Cheers :D
Tony

If it was a Mac I would suggest Aperture, which keeps photos in albums and projects with keyword descriptions. I've got it. but don't use it much. I'm not sure if it is cross-platform.

Many thanks for your all help and suggestions.

Have downloaded this program to play with. Still needs to be on the HD but looks as if I may be able to store all my photo's on CD.

I will continue looking for a stand alone prog. to run on a CD though.

I must admit I was thinking along the same lines. What you need is a programme that will read the files that you have burned to DVD. If you use a piece of software that contains the whole lot then you run the risk of that program not being compatible with future operating systems or development ceasing.

The simplest free program is probably googles picasa which will allow keywording and searching for keywords and generally makes finding pictures easier. not sure how it will cope with DVDs but costs nothing to find out.

The general opinion on the photo forum where I moderate is that archiving pictures off to CD or DVD is usually a bad idea as the media is unreliable.

I store mine on two hard drives. One for using and one for backup. Having had a few disk failures lately I can't stress enough how important the backup is.

get one of these:

41NGF908JPL._SS400_.jpg

External HDD drive.

I got one for my Dad for xmas to backup from his and his partner's laptops.

When I used a PC, I tried all the popular and many less well-known database programs for photos, bought several and finally finished up with this one http://www.idimager.com/

The developer was extremely responsive and it performed flawlessly.

These days I have a Mac so no longer use it but I see no reason why it should not be still very good.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

I didn't realise that burned disks deteriorated over time, 10 years is no problem, but 5 years could be a bit too short. I like wizard's idea of a external hard drive so as I can run it on either my PC or laptop.

Also I do need a descriptive field that can be printed out with the individual photo and 'Cheez' appears to be able to do that. I have still to test this out, but at face value it seems like a nice bit of kit.

And it brings my 'Scots ancestry' out in me, it costs nowt! :ho2

Back