DarrenW's Part Final Submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So here goes with the story so far...

Heres the pile of oak I started with. All air dried with some 2 inch and 1inch planks all from the same tree. All sourced from here, which is abouit half hour drive from me. I like the idea using the wood sourced from local forests. These fellas own a small woodland, but also get wood from surrounding estates.

Part2_1_pile.jpg

As I've mentioned in some other posts... forgot to turn the radiator off when I brought it indoors... Nice Split! ](*,) This was generally only on the 2" stock so I have managed to work around most of them. It stayed in doors for around 3 months so it was reasonably stable when I started hacking into it.

Part2_1_split.jpg

So after alot of work with some hand planes I managed to create alot of saw dust and these. Not all the pieces I need but most of the stuff for the frame.

Part2_1_bits.jpg

This next pic shows the top glued up. Made from 3 planks just butt jointed... no biscuits or owt.

Part2_1_top_legs.jpg

Some action shots.... just noticed that all the pics so far have been inside and not in the shed. Using the shooting board to square off the ends of the legs.

Part2_1_shoot.jpg

Also managed to get all the mortices into the tops of the legs. Not done these before and was lucky enough to have watched DC's latest DVD before tackling them, which has helped alot. All chopped out by hand with that second hand pigsticker you can see in the pic.

Part2_1_mortice.jpg

So thats about it so far. Its been slow work and have not had many full weekends at it. I'm also getting married in two weeks and SWMBO has banished me from the shed. Apparently I always end up cutting meself when I'm in the shed and she doesn't want any cuts and grazes in the pictures :roll:

Anyway, I have a couple of extra weekends before the next submission so should be able to post more then.

Cheers

Darren

Hi All,

So, time for the monthly update. Got married this month so not a massive amount done, but its starting to look like I might just get it finished in time.

Easiest to start of with some shots of all the components with the joints all chopped in. The frame is pretty much ready for a glue up.

Part2_2_Frame0.jpg

Part2_2_Frame1.jpg

Part2_2_Frame2.jpg

Quite please with my tenons and shoulders. First time I have tackled this and would DC latest DVD a huge help.

Part2_2_Tennon1.jpg

Part2_2_Tennon2.jpg

Also pleased with my dovetails which are used to join the front top rail.

Part2_2_Chop.jpg

Part2_2_DTSocket.jpg

Anyway... thats abit it. Now just got the drawers to do and get assembled and finished.

More in a months time.

Darren

Just for a bit of extra progress.

Rough preped the components for the draws
Drawer_Plane.jpg

Also took the plunge and went for the big glue up which I have been avoiding. Nuff stressful but turned out ok in the end. Just one bit which I failed to check with the square. The centre post which goes between the drawers isn't perfectly straight up so is noticeable when you get the drawer fronts in. But you live and learn.

Clamp.jpg

Some pics with the clamps removed.

Frame1.jpg

Frame2.jpg

... and with the draw fronts fitted into position.

Front1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Front3.jpg

More next week, when hopefully I should get the draws made up!

Hi Guys

Well the deadline has been reached and I'm gutted to say I won't finish in time. Anyway, here is progress up to now.

Manged to get one of the drawers finished. They are lapped dovetails all round. I know you don't need them for the backs but wanted to get loads of practice and a good excuse to learn.

So here are some shots of the drawer I have finished.

Drawer.jpg

and a close of one of the DT's

DoveTail.jpg

and one of the inside edges, which are quite crisp and clean

InsideEdge.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the rest of the project all together. The top needs sizing and I have another draw to make.

last1.jpg

last2.jpg

Anyway, I'll make sure that I put some finished shots in the projects section when its all done!

Later

Darren

I love the work on those dovetails, although it's a great shame you weren't able to finish in time. Still, I think you made good progress in the time you had, considering.

Look forward to seeing how it all turns out. :)

Latest posts

Back