Darren W's Part 1 Final Submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have eventually got round to finishing off the drawings for my (beginers) competition entry.

The oak console table is to go into our guest bedroom. The bed in the same room is made from oak and is very rectilinear with square section timber. I have tried to mimick this in the table, so no tapers on the legs are the obvious thing to note.

I have also tried to give it a frame and panel type look without using a frame and panel, if you see what I mean. The table top creates the top of the 'frame', the legs make the sides of the 'frame' and the bottom is just a trim glued to the side and back panels. The side and back panels give the strength to the structure (double tenoned (mitred) into the legs).

I also wanted to mimick this in the front. So no visible top rail as you look at the front. The table top butts straight onto the top of the draws. The real top rail is inset and also acts as a stop for the draws.

The table top has no overhang so I have to be careful with expansion. To maintain the flush look to the front of the unit, the table top is screwed to the hidden top rail. Then buttons are used to allow the table to expand over the back where any slight overhang will not effect the lines of the table.

All the drawers are dovetailed, with fronts as half blind DT's. Runners are used to secure the draws. The handles have a semi circle indent routed underneath to give something to grip onto.

Finish will be oil and wax.

Well thats the theory anyway :wink: .

I have supplied three additional drawings. One 2D with front, top and side views along with dimensions. The second is a 3D view showing the frame of the table with some notes. And the final one is a rendered version of the table with one of the draws open. (please ignore the grain direction on the draw fronts, I couldn't seem to rotate the pattern on them)

DarrenW_Dimensions.jpg

DarrenW_Frame.jpg

DarrenW_DrawOpen.jpg

Cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back