Dangers of Wire wool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A reasonable comment on the High kW transmission....the current 'flowing about' in some places can be quite high and cause...at least theoretically...current flow in the loose steel wool , thus heating. It''s possible to be electro-luxed through 'experiencing' antenna current. If as some one mentioned you get stinky feet...deal with the problem but wear steel capped safety boots in the workshop.

An army mate ex Vietnam Aussie friend, now died very painfully from agent orange-created disease. He, before the Australian government went grovelling to USA as did 'man of steel' (pfffft!) Howard to Bush, worked in the city..He ate 14 sandwiches a day, skinny as a rake but had feet so bad that when I drove him home after work it was conditional on his feet being out the window for the 15kMs...so yes,... can be an issue but they don't get worse in good leather boots.

That said some safety boots are atrocious quality and the soles just a farce but good ones (say "Mongrel") are fine. By the way some you can buy as wide as 6E... comfortable to wear...I have feet so damaged only plates could fix them and ease the the excruciating inflammatory pain from bone on bone and damage as an apprentice...however I just paid $350 for a pair of 4E size 12 as opposed to the generally available 10-1/2 E. Instead of being led by the nose as we usually are...buy boots which give you the right width or your feet then I think you'll ind them a big "+" in the workshop

Last edited:
It’s not so much that we (living in the far east) have nothing else to wear, it’s more that at an ambient.usually over 30C hot sweaty stinky feet because they are in shoes and socks is not appealing.

Flip flops are the standard footwear for about 98% of the population for the majority of the time, though “no footwear“ is standard in virtually all houses, temples and quite a few shops.

wearing footwear in a house is considered barbaric mostly done by the poor uneducated westerners coming from the frozen north.

Stinky feet can also come from "inside" whether wearing 'thongs" or flip-flops or not but getting back to it, what we are on about here is personal safety.

If you are ok to risk your feet fine but some poor mug may have to to the gruesome first aid and other the surgery owing to the stupidity of not using the safety boots...where risk of serious damage exists. In the OHS priority list ('ESIEAP'..mnemonic "Every Sunday I Eat A Pie" ) the "P" is for PPE...Considered the last resort 'when all else fails' is one of the most stupid perceptions even at Masters Degree in OHSE (and yes I'm a postgrad-uate in it and made the point often enough without response...) ...PPE is effectively...or can be...the wisest precautionary principle of your daily life ...don't wait until someone, or yourself is damaged before using yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once had a handful of XXXX wire wool sit on my bench near the end of my belt sander.

A spark from the sander (I was cleaning up an old rusty chisel I'd just acquired) set the wire wool afire, which burned away to a small pile of ash.

Lesson learned!

Martin.

Prison lighter is small battery and a chewing gum foil wraper.
Cut the wrapper into a thin strip and in the middle reduce it to 1mm. Short circuit battery, it will burn the "fuse" nearly instantly but usually long enough to light the bog paper near the fuse.

Prison lighter is small battery and a chewing gum foil wraper.
Cut the wrapper into a thin strip and in the middle reduce it to 1mm. Short circuit battery, it will burn the "fuse" nearly instantly but usually long enough to light the bog paper near the fuse.
How do you know?

The narrowness or narrowing of the conductor is the way some gls fuses are manufactured. Allowing a calibration through less or more material removed it gives manufacturers the scope to produce several current ratings in fusible links. One might question how batteries become available in prison but more to the point what's the substitute for the toilet paper ? once the dance of the flaming 'whatnot' is over. I suppose prison could be a marvelous place to discover one's inventiveness...if left alone and not harassed.

I'd been using an angle grinder and sometime later I was sure I could smell something burning. There was nothing obvious so I carried on working. When I reached for the pack of wire wool I'd managed to knock on to the floor I soon found that it was smouldering away nicely and left an ugly scorch mark on my mewly laid flooring! Could have been a lot worse.

I wear steel toe-capped footwear whenever I'm in the workshop. However, whenever I drop something, you can guarantee it won't land on the steel protected toes but on the unprotected bridge!

Stinky feet can also come from "inside" whether wearing 'thongs" or flip-flops or not but getting back to it, what we are on about here is personal safety.
Of course they can, that is however a tiny percentage of the population. The difficulty of the “always wear boots” is that it is designed for the numpty so they don't need to use any of their brain.

Does that prevent some injuries? Of course
Is it needed all the time? Of course not.
You try to enjoy your pastime when the temperature is over 35C, it is for about 6 months, the humidity is around 70%~90% and you wear boots for 8+ hours.
Of course there are times I wear safety boots, but all the time? No chance.

0000 wire wool thats been used for applying a wax top coat is even more fun for your budding pyromaniac. Ask me how i know!

I learned the wire wool/battery trick in physics at age 10. It wasn't on the curriculum, but give a bunch of feral boys some combustible stuff and someone is going to work it out eventually.

Real men use a lithium battery and a knife.

Its often a wonder how boys ever make it out of childhood alive. Looking back I have no idea how i did. The incident with the bottle of ether (best not to ask), the biscuit barrel, spark plug, coil and battery was only topped by trying to find out how high I could shoot an arrow. It only dawned on me that shooting it straight up was a bad idea a split second after I let fly.

kickback from a sawbench - pah!

Our chemistry teacher told us all about the ingredients of gunpowder, then left the storeroom door open, same guy that added acid and water together in the wrong way and had to put his head under the tap. Well it didn’t take long for us to fill ink bottles. Yes I am that old ha ha. With gunpowder which we set off behind the woodwork shed. Then one boy took a bottle home in his trouser pocket. Reminds me a lot of that phone battery. Christ I’ve got one in my pocket now! Didn’t realise they were that bloody dangerous
Oddbod, do tell, please- ether.

Reminds me of Mr Pierce our Physics and Chemistry teacher who gave us the formula to make the stuff in "devil bangers" the little tissue things you would throw on the floor with a bang. Was all fun and games until someone put a line of it around the rim of the heads bog bowl and left the seat up :rolleyes:

Droogs, my chap was a Mr Pierce! Relgious type- curate I think. Irish
Novocaine, there was an Irish boy at my school who persuaded us that mixing sugar and fertiliser together was a good idea, so there was me on the back lawn stirring up a 2lb bag of sugar and weedkiller, just as well we didn’t have any fertiliser ! Yes, an Irish boy, can’t imagine where he got to know about that from ha ha

Latest posts

Back