Dakota Machine Mobilty Castor Set - anyone used them ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those rollers don't look very big, I suspect you'll have a problem moving anything heavy unless your floor is pretty smooth. Apart from that they look like a great idea - exactly the kind of thing I was trying to get hold of for my TS but could never find. Too late now :roll:
Maybe the idea here would suit better for your bench.

How about Norms system used on his light weight worktable. Delightfully simple and unlike the rutlands one you dont need access to all four legs.
Might nee a bit of beefing up but the principle is there and sound.
You will need to have a smooth floor anyway as the bench will rock, distort or both otherwise.

Bob

MarkW":3dc3d6lo said:
Those rollers don't look very big, I suspect you'll have a problem moving anything heavy unless your floor is pretty smooth. Apart from that they look like a great idea - exactly the kind of thing I was trying to get hold of for my TS but could never find. Too late now :roll:
Maybe the idea here would suit better for your bench.

Damm ! That's just what I dreamt up over a beer this evening :) I agree about the roller size - they look pretty puny.

Andrew

9fingers":i8jvc4ol said:
How about Norms system used on his light weight worktable. Delightfully simple and unlike the rutlands one you dont need access to all four legs.
Might nee a bit of beefing up but the principle is there and sound.
You will need to have a smooth floor anyway as the bench will rock, distort or both otherwise.

Bob

What is "Norms" system ?

Andrew

hmmm I like the idea of those Rutlands ones, but agree with Mark they they look a little lightweight. I wonder if some clever metalworker could fashion something a bit more industrial?

Google is your friend Andrew !! Lol

<norm> will take you straight there, first hit.

If you perchance have never heard of Norm then you are excused !!

Note that the mechanism is shown wheels down on the left and wheels up (ie legs on the floor) on the right.

hth

Bob

9fingers":3uam1bda said:
Google is your friend Andrew !! Lol

<norm> will take you straight there, first hit.

If you perchance have never heard of Norm then you are excused !!

Note that the mechanism is shown wheels down on the left and wheels up (ie legs on the floor) on the right.

hth

Bob

There's a google search on this forum ? Is 'Norm" an in joke, an illustrious guru or what 'cos you've got me baffled ?!

The search function on the forum draws a blank for "lightweight worktable", that was the first thing I checked a while back ...

Sorry Andrew

For some reason my search term got truncated.

Go to Google in your favourite browser.

Type in norm worktable and hit search.

The first item you should see is a project by Norm Abram of the New Yankee Workshop project code 0207.

Norm has made around 260 TV shows that have a cult following amongst some woodworkers. Others reject his methods and cavalier attitude to workshop safety. Some take a balanced view.

Norm rarely uses a hand tool when a powered alternative is available

Whatever camp you fall into, there are ideas in his work that can be plagiarised for your own projects.

HTH

Bob

If you look at the post by andypo title of 'Very good design' on this forum posted earlier today there is link to utube showing a table with castors on the bottom that swivel out of the way when not needed. These look like a great way to build what you need. I have an 8'x4' bench with 4 locking castors on and when they are all locked it is basically solid. This looked like one step further.

Success, found it and now:

1) I know who Norm is
2) I've got a sore head from banging it on the table because I need to pay to see more details.

I think I've got enough glimpses from this and the saw outfeed table to design my own

Thanks for the suggestions

Andrew

Back