Dado blade - why not...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

I made a search and found a few posts as for the prohibition of dado blades on the UK (EU) table saws.

The reason, as most of the replies suggest, is "safety"...the dado blade is difficult to guard.....

Well, I don't see any difference between guarding the dado blade and guarding a normal blade as per the HSE drawing below...

Ripfencehigh.jpg

On the other hand, I heard that the reason is: Because of the inertia involved in stopping the blade within 10 seconds, the arbor nut might open...

So, which reason is the correct one...

Thanks
niki

I thought the sailent saftey issue was that you have to remove the riving knife and on many tablesaurs the guard is mounted on the riving knife

Digit":fsyrj4o1 said:
All of those issues can be dealt with.

Roy.

course they can - buy those wot knows what they are doing - but how many muppets would simply use it unguarded ( take a look at woodwhisperer accident board - the number of their posts that start "after removing the safety guarding I..." )

I dont get the apeal of dadoing like this - surely its easier, quicker, and safer to use a router table , or a router on a guide

EdSutton":1ibh47fh said:
Oh god, not again....... :lol:

:lol: :lol: indeed, though it's funny this should come up now.

I'm currently half way through the HSE SMSTS (Site Manager's Safety Training Course) and my instructor is an ex chippy, so of course this subject has been discussed as I was curious to get the proper lowdown from someone in a position to give a reliable verdict.

He couldn't say exactly why they were banned, guarding and braking are involved, but although both can be circumvented to some degree it seems not to the satisfaction of the HSE, whose policy is to remove risk at source if there is a safer way to achieve the result - which clearly there is.

The bottom line is though that it doesn't affect those of us who don't do this in a commercial environment - the HSE has no jurisdiction in a DIY/home woodworker scenario.

If you want one, can get one, are comfortable with the risks involved and are not going to use it in a business capacity then go for it - anyone who complains is probably just jealous.

BSM. In my experience the time taken to set up a Dado head is often unwarrented unless you're cutting quite a lot dados or rebates. I used to use a router but now, assuming the job will fit, I cut them on the TS.

Roy.

WellsWood":3qk9euy7 said:
I'm currently half way through the HSE SMSTS (Site Manager's Safety Training Course)

I don't recall any real detail being covered on woodworking machinery when I did my SMSTS - its a bit too specific.

I take it you work in construction? The list of stuff you need now is getting ridiculous. I have SMSTS (5 days) IOSH (4 days) First Aid (4 days). If thats not bad enough, now my degree and CIOB is apparently not enough I've had to do an NVQ5 in Construction Management so I can get the right colour (black) CSCS card...

Ed

big soft moose":uxntuxkl said:
I dont get the apeal of dadoing like this - surely its easier, quicker, and safer to use a router table ,

Not IMHO, much easier & a lot quicker to use a dado, whether it`s safer is down to the muppet using the machinery & the precautions he/she takes.

Plenty of people seem to be able to maim themselves with routers :roll:

WellsWood":12h5uddx said:
He couldn't say exactly why they were banned,

Scrit's main line of attack with Dado's was always the breaking time. To be fair, as Niki points out, with an overhead guard in place, this should not be an issue. Dado's were banned when guards where still not common place. The problem is that overhead guards are not common place.

I've always been in the 'for' camp. Perhaps that means I'll be removing myself from the gene pool soon after getting a TS capable of taking a dado, or perhaps I'll just be 'lucky'.

EdSutton":39fibnfr said:
WellsWood":39fibnfr said:
I'm currently half way through the HSE SMSTS (Site Manager's Safety Training Course)

I don't recall any real detail being covered on woodworking machinery when I did my SMSTS - its a bit too specific.

I take it you work in construction?

Ed

Yes Ed, quality auditor for a large commercial flooring contractor, but I'm adding in H&S stuff next year, hence the course - a precursor to IOSH / NEBOSH.
The subject wasn't covered, I raised it in conversation during a break because of the instructors background - you're right it would be much too specific.

We used to use groovers at work upto 1/2" wide which were unguarded,and even put slithers of card in to make them wobble to get that little bit of extra width.
I still use my dado set on my home table saw and find them quicker to set up than the router.
If used correctly i just can't see a problem with them.

Doug B":1pvq3l54 said:
big soft moose":1pvq3l54 said:
I dont get the apeal of dadoing like this - surely its easier, quicker, and safer to use a router table ,

Not IMHO, much easier & a lot quicker to use a dado, whether it`s safer is down to the muppet using the machinery & the precautions he/she takes.

Plenty of people seem to be able to maim themselves with routers :roll:

True , but then you can wizer yourself with any machinery ifyou are daft or unlucky enough - i know one bloke who needed 38 stiches after an accident with a stanley knife and a straight edge

speed wise I would think that its quicker the change a router cutter than to change the blade and remoive the riving knife etc , but each to his own

Was there not also an issue with some saws having not quite enough length on the arbour thread so the nut couldn't be done up tightly enough or have threads poking out the other side?

Please not again, some people love them some loath them any machine with a blade is dangerous if not used safely, You'll never convince someone who doesn't like them to use one so really this type of thread is a non starter!

I will stick to using my dado set and then use a router when I feel it is appropriate for the job I'm doing...

I think the vast majority of us groaned when we say the title, I'm surprised it was niki who started it, I'm sure he's been around the block with this a few times. In fact, something tells me niki and scrit specifically fell out over this, but that might be another brain fart.

Still, it's all very civil so far. Maybe it's good to bring it out once in a while. If only to divert from other upsets...

Back