Safe way to use a dado stack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be feeling gruesome today, as I totally misread the end of this...

Firstly, be very, very careful, you know all the risks involved. Minimise those risks, respect the tool and keep your focus on the job.

I’ve used dado stacks for a long time. I’ve a 4 wing set, 3 hp saw so please adjust things to suit your set, saw and learning curve.
First thing is experiment/test with scrap, which I’m sure you planned to do. 18 mm is ok in one go in most cases. Raising blade to max height maybe not a great idea as a lot of exposed blade even with an 8” set. As said above, chisel out. You’ll have to anyway to get a square finish no matter what height.

Lastly, once first finger is cut try and not put any pressure towards the fence in the cut area.

I had visions of expecting one finger (of the hand!) to get cut, and then carry on to make sure you put pressure on the finger in the cut area :oops:

If you want rid of the greys then trapping is one way but why not just use a pneumatic air riffle, thats what they use round here and then they give them to local pubs and restuarants to go on the menu.

We do. That is how they are "processed" once trapped. But they are trapped to ensure a humane kill, rather than having a one-eyed squibble bouncing around the trees in pain. The comb allows it to be penned to a corner of the trap where it sits motionless waiting for the appointment with the pellet.

Back