DAB digital car radios?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about DAB digital car radio-CD players. What's good, and what's not.
We want a DAB car radio-CD player that doesn't cost silly money, but obviously good sound and quality.
Can anyone help please.

I wish everyone a good one. :ho2

DAB itself not good as far as I can see, they plain dont receive a signal round these parts. 2012 Im told till the digital stuffs in the local ether.
Mike

Out of 107 views and only one reply. Doesn't anyone know anything to assist.

mr. I don't know where you are, but apparently north Devon is OK.

Happy crimbo everyone. :ho2

Here's another reply, Gary!

Thing is though, I'm just waiting for an answer to the same question!

I've got 2 DAB radios at home & one in the workshop and find them superb. I would love one in the car but would also like some guidence.

Come on guys!

Brad

garywayne":2xkhnv3z said:
Out of 107 views and only one reply. Doesn't anyone know anything to assist.

mr.

Gary - I'm no expert which is why I didn't initially reply. I did however have a quick look into the subject about 12 months ago and concluded that the alleged quality of sound wasn't worth the ridiculous prices of DAB radios. Tests showed most people couldn't tell the difference, and a significant number thought the none DAB quality was better.

Given the patchy coverage, plus road noise etc, I wonder how good mobile DAB technology really is?

I'd forget about DAB in the car, simply waay too patchy coverage at the momemt. A decent FM unit, and this is the important bit, properly installed (especially aerial wise) will be of much more benefit.
I've a wee DAB at home and it gives superior reception to anything else I have.

Got a DAB at home, and it's great. One thing though, if you listen to Radio 4 Long Wave I don't think that's offered on DAB. But on the other hand, there is Five Sports Extra which seems to have all the cricket etc coverage that Radio 4 LW normally carries.

I'm very pleased with my DAB radio at home but wouldn't bother with one for the car until coverage is better and prices come down. For your car, a good ordinary radio with RDS would probably give better results at the moment, in my view.

Cheers :ho2

Paul

Thanks for replying Roger.

As far as I know the quality of sound is no better.
Sigh.gif
In fact you can't beat a good tuner and speakers.
Cans.gif
But the quality of program is far superior. We travel from Portsmouth to Bideford north Devon quite a lot and the radio is pretty c**p. With DAB we should be able to get Planet rock all the way with no adverts,
Yeahh.gif
which is why we would like one. These days one tends to get more talking than music.

Brad. Keep watching. You may learn something.
Wipe-Glasses.gif
:wink:
In the house I use the TV to listen to music. If or when I build up the courage to build a workshop, then I shall need one for that.

I have a small pocket DAB radio that I use when the cricket is on and on other rare occasions and I find the reception to be very good (London area) and the sound quality far out performs a 'normal' FM radio IMO.
Unfortunately I haven't encountered a DAB car radio, so I can't comment on that, but as DAB units are coming down dramatically in price, it's only a matter of time before they become more widespread and a greater range of applications appears (leading to more DAB equipped car stereo units).

V.

DAB is excellent especially RADIO 7 plays and comedy all day and you can receive all the stations you would normally get, which includes R4.
you can also rewind and pause just like SKY+.
Wouldn't be without it at work and home signal around London superb.
As to DAB car radios signal can fade occasionally but it's bearable.
But I reiterate this is around London
Dom

Latest posts

Back