Cyclone installed now!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've been installing Barry's Cylcone in my workshop

The blower, fitted with a 3HP 3 phase motor is mounted in a frame of aluminium angle and suspended from the roof rafters partially above the ceiling level.
Mvc-001s.jpg

The outlet of the blower is connected to the silencer which is suspended from the ceiling and feeds the micro filters (not pictured). In the background the cylone is mounted on the wall.
[/img]
Mvc-005s.jpg

Another view of the blower -silencer combination.
Mvc-004s.jpg

[/img]
The blower frame is mounted on rubber anti vibration mounts and the motor is driven from a variable speed inverter so that it there are any nasty resonances, I'll be able to programme these out with the inverter.
Mvc-002s.jpg

The dust collection bin is loose on the floor directly below the cylone.
[/img]
MVC-003S-rot.jpg

As an experiment I have made a 1 minute video with an audio commnetary of the installation including the 8 downpipes and blast gates using 110mm drainpipes.
I hope this works out ok and plays ok. I suggest that you dont follow the link if you have a slow dial up link.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/9fingersphotos/?action=view&current=Mvi_0217.flv

All is working well with no vibrations being transmitted through the roof which was a concern.
Bob

Looks good,and video plays well (I'm on 2mb) :D

It's amazing how much vibration rubber will absorb - my brother is a chartered surveyor for a building firm near London who refurb a lot of railway stations ; one they have done has the ticket office/cafe block built above the platforms and supported on rubber blocks :shock:

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback Andrew.

The AV mounts are only 20mm diameter and 20mm long with M6 studs moulded into each end. They are rated for up to 10kg loadeach - I have four- and dead easy to use.
Barry had used 6 tennis balls sandwiched between MDF sheets but a couple of the balls had collapsed (nasty!) as well as taking up a lot more room.

Bob

An impressive dust extraction system that appears to take up little room. I didn't know you could get silencers, or did you construct them?

Paul

very impressive indeed! I am glad it went to a good home.

Ps I don't think your going to get away with not showing us the rest of your workshop :D :wink:

Hi Bob
That looks fantastic - I can't wait to see more video/pictures as your fitting out progresses.

Thanks for all your kind words.
The cyclone and ducting is the only bit anywhere near finished apart from the fabric of the building. The lighting is installed, 10 x 5 foot high efficiency fluorescent tubes this was a must as there are deliberately no windows. The walls floor and ceiling are all insulated, clad and painted or varnished in the case of the floor.
Power has been plumbed in from the house several years ago -pre part P regulations but there is no other wiring and for now everything is running on extension leads.
Water and drains are piped but not commissioned yet and the Belfast sink is still in the garden
So no more pictures yet as I'm a bit ashamed of the state of the place.

The silencer was made by Barry and is based on Bill Pentz design seehttp://www.billpentz.com/ look under projects/muffler on the far right of the dust collector main menu.
I don't know how much attenuation it provides but it came with the set up I bought from Barry's widow so I installed it.

The next job is to plan the details of the bench that will run nearly the length of the shop from the cyclone to the far end. This is about 8 metres and will include a mobile router table, mobule Xcalibur saw a fixed mitre saw and a DW 1753 radial arm saw.
The mobile units will fit into cut outs in the bench surface and all at the same height to act as infeed/outfeed tables & support for using the other kit.

I will take WIP pictures but it might be a while before you see them!

Bob

Bob
Glad to see it working again a very impressive job getting all that equipment up near the roof space
The video is great well done

Nigel

Nice vid Bob. Will there be a sequel showing the set up in its full sucking and blowing glory?

Andy

Back