cuttinhg waney edges using FEsto TS55

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
so after having the cherry boards for a couple of weeks (month)
i thought about cutting the main edge on my table saw, but then
i wondered about using a Festo and the guide rail particularly after the
recent postings.

Jaycee my local dealer are now Festo dealers, and have test models too.
So we did a deal. They would cut my waney edges and i'd take some photos. not sure how good they are but lets try.
Go to album

this shows a number of the processes and i hope what a good finish
on the edge. we used a 1400 guide rail, and a well used blade. the extractor worked really well, and i was surprised how little dust there was, mainly from the mdf under board.

anyway, hope i have posted the pictures properly,

and in my modest opinion, the festo and guide rail, plus extractor,
is worth the dosh if you then want to save money by buying waney edged boards and cutting and planing/thicknessing them then this is the start of the way to go.

passing thought, if the cherry deepens in colour after use, does anyone know whether veneered mdf cherry will also darken???

paul :wink:

Paul,

I have tried to look at your photos, but I get a message that says you have not enabled any public albums in your account.

I have not used a Festo for this type of job but have used my wadkin and my old b&q tables saws to did it, I am interested in seeing your results.

If it's genuine cherry on the surface of the MDF, then yes it will: it's photosensitive, and will darken with exposure to light/oxygen. Doesn't matter whether it's solid, a veneer, or 'engineered' boards (eg Kahrs flooring) - the process is the same.

sorry said it was my first attempt,
love these systems where they only tell you half the story about
loading,
will check and come back.
paul :oops:

ok have clicked the public button, so maybe we can get it working,
but obviously i have not loaded the images correctly, what did i miss out????
paul :?

Paul

You posted a url to your page so should have used the .... tags instead of img. Also the
you tried to put at the end landed up at the bottom of your post.

Use the
to post individual images (i.e. urls with a .jpg on the end) but I think that only works if the site where you store your photos allows direct linking

HTH

Paul,

That has worked. :D

I have tidied your post so it links to your album, now we can all see the cherry being cut, looks like good timber. 8)

thanks dave.
i will next try scrits idea and see if i can keep the best of my email address off the world air :lol: :lol:

it certainly seems like good stuff and i got some decent 6in wide boards by about 5 feet long so it will do for me.

now i have to hope my planing skills are up to the job,
will keep you posted (sorry :oops: ) as to progress

ok back again.
about sticking and storing. if there is a bow in the wood you are
sticking, which way up do you put the plank??

bow up, or edges up??? and where do you weight it down??

Back