Cutting sheets...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

While I was staggering around the workshop today carrying an 8 by 4 sheet of ply, I began to think there must be a safer way of lifting a sheet onto a running panel saw than the method I was using.

How do others do it? I was thinking of a stand in front of the saw which I could safely lean boards against, before the big lift..

Any other ideas.

davin

Aha,

Thats great for carrying boards. But the danger point for me is trying to lift the board onto the saw without damaging the saw the board or me.
Maybe I need longer monkey like arms.
thanks

You need a sort of stand that yoy can rest the board on then swivel it round to the bed height.

If I could get my head ronnd Sketch Up I would draw what I mean.

Tom

Best way i found when doing it on my own was to set the fence to the required size.
Drag the sheet upto the saw,lean it against the saw near the fence length,switch saw on and pick it up from the floor.
I have cut 1" thick 8x4s ply and mdf using this method,no need to carry the sheets at all.

Re: jigsawing the boards first, I havent got much floor space.
The ideal would be to have horizontal trolley on which I could cut boards slightly oversize on first, then gently wheel the patient up to the saw.

Good morning,

Another way may be to shift the storage place of the sheet goods near to the saw or move the saw close to the sheets of ply. The underlying thought is merely to minimize the handling. As I don't know how your panel saw looks like, the following drawings show a way amongst others.

untitled_1-2227d3a.jpg

Space being also at a premium in my shop you may see the storage place of the sheets of ply in the below photos. Not perfect obviously but enough workable for someone who doesn't deal with such sheets all along the day.

untitled_2-2227d58.jpg

I hope the above pictures are of some help

Best Regards

Paul.J":2t0il3f2 said:
Best way i found when doing it on my own was to set the fence to the required size.
Drag the sheet upto the saw,lean it against the saw near the fence length,switch saw on and pick it up from the floor.
I have cut 1" thick 8x4s ply and mdf using this method,no need to carry the sheets at all.

This is the same as i deal with them. Often though when i haven't needed anything longer then a 4ft cut i have halved the sheets with a c/saw, if you you don't have space inside maybe do it outside or even ask the wood yard to do it for you on there vertical.

Great pictures WhyDi. This is what I'm looking for. I really find this a great idea because it's a lot safer. This guide is very helpful. Thanks. :)

Good morning,

the Srp's drawing is great and Jonf's making looks powerful but it seems to me that Davin asked for slim ones and Wizer posted a message on the Jig&Tips Forum that may bring a suitable answer to Davin, nearly in the middle of that page.

Best Regards

just found a video of one on you tube think its called "leg up" i found it while looking at the gorilla gripper videos.

I lay the sheet, upright, 8' side on the floor, up against the exit table. It will be running at 90* to the blade. Put a piece of 2x2 under each end of the board. You now have a space under the board for your hands.
My table saw is quite large & heavy & will carry an 8x4 sheet without any other support.

Lift the board forwards & up, using the edge of the exit table as a pivot point until the board is at the same height as the table...about 1/3rd of the board will be resting on the table, then shuffle it until it's stable.

Hope this makes sense

The board is surprisingly light when using this method, a lot of the weight is transfered to the pivot point.......doesn't cost anything either :D

Thanks for all the replies.
Lots of interesting ideas.

I will have try and make something later in the week.
I thought that maybe if I made a wheeled tipper like the one shown, I could keep say 3 or 4 boards on the trolley, then simply wheel to the saw, tip upright and feed the top board onto the machine, saving space in the workshop.
Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

davin

Latest posts

Back