Cutting Programme?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effigy

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cutting programme?

I am sure I have seen one somewhere, where you input the sizes from your parts list and the board size you are cutting from, and it works out the optimum cutting plan.

Or did I dream it...... :shock:
:D

Aaaaaaarggggghyhhhh.

I pare my reply right down to the mimimum and still Scrit gets in first, and with more words. :evil: :D

However, just to get my own back, be petty etc. I think you'll find that it should be

There are several around ...

Ha :!: :wink:

I'm not going to obsess about this

dedee":12ix1yms said:
Is it possible to position non rectilinear components in Cutlist ?

Andy

I don't think so. I have the cheapest "paid for" version and it only allows you to enter length, width and thickness...I can't see how you would get odd shapes in other than to make the smallest rectangle to fit your required shape into, not very satisfactory though.

Here's one for y'all - apart from running this in parallels, anyone know of a mac programme? I don't want to use SU as it takes me too long to use it.

Frank

There's also another called Optimik. I have a demo version on my drive and it looks reasonable, although the interface is a bit quirky in places. Looking at the web site they seem to have made a lot of improvements over the last couple of years so it may be worth reviewing

Nick

\:D/ :p :wink:

dedee":qkg8szts said:
Is it possible to position non rectilinear components in Cutlist ?
No. For that you need a parts optimisation program. Every one I tried when we were doing CNC work was either less productive than doing a translate and copy in CAD, or cost a fortune.

Scrit

Nice looking programs, possibly very useful for me. I see Optimik keeps track of off cuts from previous projects to use in the future, but does anyone know if Cutlist does this also?

This thread caught my interest, so I've had a gander at the programs suggested.

I can see how these systems could be very useful if you were churning out MFC kitchen cabinets by the hundred, but for the small furniture workshop I just don't see it.

Most of our work is in veneered MDF. We just rip to width, biggest sizes first, and then cross-cut to length, using what's left to make the smaller componants. For visible faces, we like to centre any distinctive grain pattern.

Any off cuts go in vertical racks and are used up on future jobs. We never seem to throw anything away and our stock of off-cuts stays roughly constant.

I cannot see what difference a program like these would make except involving me in even more time playing on the computer instead of getting some work done!

There is a danger in embracing too much technology.

I wonder what Senior and Dom think.

Cheers
Brad the Luddite

Brad Naylor":1nmzr8ng said:
I can see how these systems could be very useful if you were churning out MFC kitchen cabinets by the hundred, but for the small furniture workshop I just don't see it.
It all depends on your spacial awareness, how you do (or don't do) your costings, etc. and if your main thrust is working with solid timber, then these products aren't for you. Similarly they won't handle non-rectilinear items - in fact very few programs will optimise for non-rectilinear objects and in my CNC period I found it easier to lay out such items by hand using X-/Y-axis translations in the CAD package and loop/counter programming of the offsets in the G-code. If on the other hand you are cutting crown-veneered MDF for carcasing where the pattern is fairly consistent (and that is really most commercially produced boards) then they can help you save money by optimising the cuts. I've found it useful on many occassions to have a cutting diagram available when I'm making a complex series of cuts on the panel saw, especially if it's a 6 or 8 sheet job, although I'll admit to cranking my cutting diagrams out on Corel Draw because I already own a copy. If I were buying I think I'd consider Optimik as the costing part and the fact that it can track offcuts is potentially very useful for me.

Brad Naylor":1nmzr8ng said:
Perhaps, but there are times when optimising can save you a sheet or two on a job - probably more worth it when you are doing something like £100/sheet zebrano veneered MDF than £25 oak stuff, though.

Scrit

If you're like me and woodworking has to be done using any money that's left over after bills then saving £25 makes a big difference. Just planned out my current project, small by most standards, and what I assumed was 2 sheets of ply turns out I can get it all out of 1, and using less cuts than I originally had worked out too.

Guess I'm just not very organised when working on paper :roll:

Martin

Brad Naylor":3hdi32gs said:
snip
I cannot see what difference a program like these would make except involving me in even more time playing on the computer instead of getting some work done!

snip
Yep.
My cutting programme is dead simple and reliable; you sort out a cutting list and then cut stuff strictly in descending order starting with biggest sizes first - but cutting it from the smallest possible bit of stock.
Works with timber or sheet - although with sheet a bit of thought might be needed with respect to orientation.

cheers
Jacob

Back